Discuss How to cover/work round copper pipes? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Matty

TF
Reaction score
Hi All,

Installing Marmox boards in a shower area and want to avoid a stud wall to keep as much space as poss.
Will carry on with dot and dab (uneven old walls) for the boards but what advice could you give for where the shower pipes are?

If i was to cover them then the boards would sit out maybe 20-25mm, could i go flush against the side of them and protect then skim over the pipes somehow?
Cheers

15679421819774164053142387436426.jpg

Reaction score
I would’ve chased them in. Keep in mind that any cement that comes into contact with the copper will attack it. Cover it with Duct tape.
If you do board either side and skim the pipes with something then make sure the pipes are still buried by a decent amount otherwise the skim will crack on the hot side due to expansion/contraction which potentially can come through to the tiles/grout. Usually you’d use a pipe scrim or felt.

Last edited:

Matty

TF
Reaction score
I would’ve chased them in. Keep in mind that any cement that comes into contact with the copper will attack it. Cover it with Duct tape.
If you do board either side and skim the pipes with something then make sure the pipes are still buried by a decent amount otherwise the skim will crack on the hot side due to expansion/contraction which potentially can come through to the tiles/grout. Usually you’d use a pipe scrim or felt.
Yeh unfortunately i think it might be too late to chase them, bit of a change of decision in the end but I'll see how far out the board could sit and felt insulate the hot side? Also protect the copper too just incase. Thanks

Reaction score
Depends how much play you have under the floor. Even if they’re recessed a little, it might be enough to dab a board over them. This is the ideal way to do it to get the wall flat.

Reply to How to cover/work round copper pipes? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks