Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss How straight should a tile snapping machine cut? in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I just unboxed my first proper tile cutter and tried a few cuts on some spare tiles. (BIG CLINKER)

It works ok but the cuts aren't exactly straight. I would say they wave/vary up to 1mm to 2mm on a long cut (30cm). Most often they are curving one way toward the middle of the cut and then straightening again toward the end.

Q1 I would not expect a snap to be absolutely perfect so what is an acceptable tollerance?

Q2 How much pressure and speed should I use to score the tile if it is glazed porcelain 10mm thick?

Q3 for cut edges that meet with a non tiled wall, what is the best way to finish so there is no jaggedness visible where they meet the wall? (Is it best to go right up to the wall and caulk the wall or leave a gap and grout up to the wall or something else, e.g. silicone?)

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
no experience of the cutter mentioned, if it’s cutting in a curve over a 30cm tile then something is not right, you should be achieving a relative straight clean cut with light pressure. corners abutting non tiled walls l would use decorators caulk,

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks, the wheel has 4 height settings so I put it on a lower setting (1) so the handle is just above the rails. With a smoother action and light pressure as you said and the cuts are much better.

The cuts on the face are straight down the glaze with only minor chipping in places. The edges sometimes wave out a bit on down to the back of the tile but this won't be seen.

Reply to How straight should a tile snapping machine cut? in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock