Discuss How often do you re -seal travertine tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Q

Qwerty

Just wondered how often travertine tiles need re-sealing in a bathroom (shower enclosure) situation.

How often do you guys re-seal? Do customers get you back to re-seal. Will the tiles allow water to soak through over a number of years?

Ta

T

Time's Ran Out

blocko.

I never get invited back to my jobs!:thumbsdown:
It must be because I leave them the sealer with the instructions.:thumbsup:
The stone seal I use specifically states that you need to reseal every 3-5-7 years for heavy-medium-light usage.
In a shower enclosure that would be 3 years. But if it is noticeable that the tile is accepting moisture it should be done ASAP. ie. the tile will darken when wet.
Make sure you check the grouting for hairline cracks and silicone all corners and joins to shower tray.

John.

M

Matt

Depends on the sealer. If a impregnating sealer is used, then 3 - 7 years. If it's not an impregnating sealer, it would need sealing alot more frequently.

T

Time's Ran Out

Blocko.

Again that is down to personal choice - I use Sovergeign stone seal.
Some impregnators seem to leave a shine to the tile surface which isn't even - looks streaky, this just soaks in and if you give it 2-3 good coats without any lying on the surface that's about it. I often put a satin golvpolish on floors when its completely dry just to add alustre and make maintenance easier.
As for a guarantee I very much doubt it as they have no control over those who cann't read the back of the tin! Those who don't wait for the tiles to completely dry and those who say they sealed it and haven't bothered! With the one I use it smells like nail varnish remover+ so even next door know its been used!.:thumbsup:

John.

M

Matt

So what is the best sealer? Do they give any gaurantees?
As John said, it's down to personal preference. LTP do very good products. They have Mattstone (more of a 'dull' finish) and Colour Intensifier (intensifies colours).

I don't think any company offers gaurantees, but I will ring LTP when I am back in work on Tuesday.

E

enduro

You guys are all missing a trick here, any natural stone i lay i offer the customer a maintenance program where i go back in twelve months to clean the floor and re-seal. At the moment im averaging £15 sqm to clean and re-seal. :thumbsup:

R

Rob Z

Another thing that affects the duration of service life for the sealer is the cleaning agents that are used in the shower, bathroom, etc. We use only Aqua Mix products for sealing,and try to get the customer to use only Aqua Mix cleaning products, which have a nuetral PH and aren't harsh on the tile. stone, grout, caulk, etc.

Reply to How often do you re -seal travertine tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks