Discuss How much are you getting from your adhesive in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

LM

7D5AC6E2-4A4C-4DE6-901E-7CDBEFA4CCF5.jpeg 28B067F3-56CD-455A-8F5B-1589312D86DC.jpeg 8713E4C5-913C-4729-BC54-1BD12A3815DE.jpeg D25BF7B0-E3E5-436C-A6EB-703797AFE9FA.jpeg This week for the first time I used @ISOMAT UK AK 20 to install @Schlüter-Systems Ltd Ditra and a 1200x600 porc tile. The area was 65 mts. I used the standard Schluter 4mm notch to install the Ditra and a 13mm square notch to bed the tile with a flat back skim to the tile as well of course, the floor was good and flat. Typically I’d have used about 35 x 20kg bags of C2 adhesive from any one of the more common and reputable brands which equates to 700kg of powder and roughly 10.1kg per mtr. The AK20 took just 21 x 25kg bags to do this job which is just 525kg of powder and a consumption of about 8.1kg per mtr. The yield from this adhesive is very very impressive and it is very easy on the wrists and arms to spread, nice and creamy.
The savings stack up, not only is it a lot cheaper per kg to buy than any other S1 class adhesive but the amount of time saved in mixing also has to be noted and not to forget the amount of saving in labour humping bags about to the job site.
I’ve been so impressed by it I felt I had to share this on the forum. Some of us are guilty of being stuck in our ways.
If you haven’t tried this adhesive yet I honestly can say it’s your loss.

F

Flintstone

I used ak20 a few months ago, I got about 20, 25 bags if I remember rightly. I found the mixing was a bit unusual compared to what I was used to doing, firmed up massively before letting it sit for 10 mins. But as you said, it does go a long way. I think ultimately isomat need to provide a decent deal to the majority of people to move forward. 10 bags free carriage would be my preference. How much water did you used ? I was using 8.2 lt per bag

W

Waluigi

When people try new adhesive do they stick to the manufacturers spec on water volume?

L

LM

I used ak20 a few months ago, I got about 20, 25 bags if I remember rightly. I found the mixing was a bit unusual compared to what I was used to doing, firmed up massively before letting it sit for 10 mins. But as you said, it does go a long way. I think ultimately isomat need to provide a decent deal to the majority of people to move forward. 10 bags free carriage would be my preference. How much water did you used ? I was using 8.2 lt per bag
Andy I don’t know what you normally pay for a top brand S1 adhesive but I find Isomat to be exceptional value. There are cheap S1’s out there but their from brands that through experience of my own and shared from colleauges that know what they’re doing I simply don’t trust.

L

LM

When people try new adhesive do they stick to the manufacturers spec on water volume?
It varies on wether I’m doing walls or floors and my own judgement of the conditions. Common sense will dictate that you don’t make it too stiff that it skins too quickly and doesn’t stick and the opposite is true in that you don’t make it like soup. I judge it depending on what I’m doing. I like it to be as wet as I can get away with what I’m doing.

F

Flintstone

Currently £14 a bag lee for ultra and Tilemaster
I can’t buy a palet load at a time so I need a manageable size order, I’m sure others are the same.

L

LM

Currently £14 a bag lee for ultra and Tilemaster
I can’t buy a palet load at a time so I need a manageable size order, I’m sure others are the same.
Good brands both of them and well trusted, I can’t think of a complaint about either of them that I’ve heard.
So I take it they’re 20kg bags? And if so it’s £17.50 for 25kgs.
This is an honest question as I’ve never used them, how does their yield compare?

W

Waluigi

It varies on wether I’m doing walls or floors and my own judgement of the conditions. Common sense will dictate that you don’t make it too stiff that it skins too quickly and doesn’t stick and the opposite is true in that you don’t make it like soup. I judge it depending on what I’m doing. I like it to be as wet as I can get away with what I’m doing.

Cheers. I tried some adhesive today using the specified volume of water and found it needed a fair amount more water.

I’m not really too sure whether it has a detrimental effect on the adhesive.

Trying out new adhesives as I’m finding Biogel too slow for a slow set. The dust it kicks up is just scary too. Inhaling that carrera marble isn’t good.

F

Flintstone

It’s hard for me to make comparison as when I used the isomat I was Tiling onto dural, i also had to vary the bed depth. I can tell you this much, Tilemaster setaflex goes nowhere, in my opinion.

L

LM

Cheers. I tried some adhesive today using the specified volume of water and found it needed a fair amount more water.

I’m not really too sure whether it has a detrimental effect on the adhesive.

Trying out new adhesives as I’m finding Biogel too slow for a slow set. The dust it kicks up is just scary too. Inhaling that carrera marble isn’t good.
Get yourself a wale tale Luigi

Reply to How much are you getting from your adhesive in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks