Discuss How many tiles to account for wastage and extras. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Deleted member 52645

Hi

So I am trying to figure out how much to account for wastage for tiling a house, and I also would like to have a spare box for breakages (post-tiling).

The entire house (2 bed 2 bath) is 90 square metres and is being tiled in a 1200 x 200mm tile. The tile is rectified so the grout will likely be 2-3mm.
I have read elsewhere on the forum that for a large tile I should probably account for 10-15% wastage. Does this sound applicable to my situation, with the long tile and also needing to do 2 bathrooms? And is this likely to leave me with some spare tiles to keep for breakages later on?

Im also asking because the tile is on sale so I am unlikely to be able to buy more or return excess down the line.
Any input would really be useful.
Thank you!

L

LM

I also was thinking 5% but let’s get realistic how much do the tiles cost and to have the peace of mind in the overall scheme of things how much would an extra 5% cost you? Probably a no brainer.

D

Deleted member 52645

Thanks so much for all the advice, this has been really helpful! I also hadnt thought about the potential wastage saving with random bond (which I think looks better as well). Turns out I should be able to return some extras so will go for the 10% and hopefully return any remainders.

Thanks again.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the advice, this has been really helpful! I also hadnt thought about the potential wastage saving with random bond (which I think looks better as well). Turns out I should be able to return some extras so will go for the 10% and hopefully return any remainders.

Thanks again.
Be careful, most tile retailers have a 28 day clause for returns...

D

Dumbo

So you are doing 90 sq metres . In years time you break a tile and cant them anymore . Two options
1 put in a different tile and live with it (nice)
2 . Retile the whole 90 metres .
Or what you could of done is kept some spare tiles .

U

Unused Account 1

Every job ive done that big always had 2 or 3 metres of damaged or marked tiles ,another thing to think of

Reply to How many tiles to account for wastage and extras. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks