Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss How do you wrap tiles onto window sill? Just can’t seem to get the joints to line up perfectly? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Jimbob12

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Are there any tips on how to carry the herringbone pattern onto a window sill. I’m tile my cousins kitchen and every time I align one tile up with the joints on the wall the others don’t match up.
AD80133F-040A-42C5-A546-91EE6B7F812D.jpeg

Joshjupp

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Is that row of tiles on the window sill spot on level if it’s not it will throw the bond out and you should of kept the off cut off those tiles to use

OP
J

Jimbob12

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
Yeh, it’s level and I didn’t keep the off cuts. There was a bit of a bow in the wall so I’ve took them off and straightened them up so hopefully that was the problem but I’ll have another try tomorrow. Thanks for the reply. Do you think it would look stupid with the sill tiled in straight bond if all else fails ?

ttt tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Incredibly brave for a non pro , must admit i would return square , otherwise keep offcuts and minus the tile trim .
Often trial and error

Joshjupp

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yeh, it’s level and I didn’t keep the off cuts. There was a bit of a bow in the wall so I’ve took them off and straightened them up so hopefully that was the problem but I’ll have another try tomorrow. Thanks for the reply. Do you think it would look stupid with the sill tiled in straight bond if all else fails ?
Yeah if the wall tiles aren’t flat that will throw it out if and I think if you went straight bond it wouldn’t look right maybe get a tile big enough to make a window sill out of it just a thought but might look pretty good something that’s contrasts the white metros

OP
J

Jimbob12

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
You sure you have followed the pattern correctly?
Have you got a pic of all the tiled wall?
[/QUO
You sure you have followed the pattern correctly?
Have you got a pic of all the tiled wall?
Haven’t got a full pic but I’m pretty sure I followed the pattern correctly. They’re not miles out just millimetres but it doesn’t look good obviously. I’ll have another go tomorrow but I’ll lay them dry this time to save getting https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ everywhere
[automerge]1579127210[/automerge]
That
Yeah if the wall tiles aren’t flat that will throw it out if and I think if you went straight bond it wouldn’t look right maybe get a tile big enough to make a window sill out of it just a thought but might look pretty good something that’s contrasts the white metros
That’s an idea. Thank you

ttt tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
[automerge]1579127356[/automerge]
Good idea that , maybe a bit of limestone

Joshjupp

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
[automerge]1579127356[/automerge]
Good idea that , maybe a bit of limestone
15/20mm black/grey porcelain would look pretty awesome aswell I like to put added details into tile I do that with niches now I Use a different tile in the niche than the wall tiles

OP
J

Jimbob12

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
Far from perfect. What do the pros think of this ?

Attachments

• 95829E35-5ACB-4D81-97FF-AEB353EFFD30.jpeg
    95829E35-5ACB-4D81-97FF-AEB353EFFD30.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 79

Reply to How do you wrap tiles onto window sill? Just can’t seem to get the joints to line up perfectly? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock