Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss How do I tile around switches and sockets? - How to tile properly around sockets in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Chris Y

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi
How do you get a better finish with the below switch please

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Do it the same as the switch on the right...

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
They are actually a pain in the backside , your cut has to perfect as the back plate is so loose , painful but can be done

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The screws that hold that facing on are generally pretty small, they are only around 6mm long, I've tried sourcing longer ones as most new builds have this but failed twice after they were delivered and didn't fitso gave up. When i've done it i've had to loosen off the socket that is behind that and actually has the switches mounted into the actual socket backbox to bring it all forward and screw the facing on with a bit of fiddling around. It is a pain but can be done as widler said, i done two last week and didn't leave it like that
20190620_172745.jpg

Last edited:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've done loads of them, and they should be left like this...
IMG_20190627_190450.jpg

Take the face plate off, loosen the back socket, cut your tile leaving small tabs to go in between the screws to keep the back plate flush with the tile then screw the face plate back on..

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
1563374348295.png
Be careful, these sockets have so many wires in such a small enclosed space. As you can see from the above pic the brown wire was in the path of the screw. I did not realize I had just nicked the brown cable until I turned on the power to the sockets from the main fuse board. BANG !!!!!

Luckily there was a foreman onsite and he said he would get an electrician to look at it.

Always turn off the power to the sockets when working around them.

smokie899

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The screws that hold that facing on are generally pretty small, they are only around 6mm long, I've tried sourcing longer ones as most new builds have this but failed twice after they were delivered and didn't fitso gave up. When i've done it i've had to loosen off the socket that is behind that and actually has the switches mounted into the actual socket backbox to bring it all forward and screw the facing on with a bit of fiddling around. It is a pain but can be done as widler said, i done two last week and didn't leave it like that View attachment 107546
I get my socket screws of Amazon 40, 50, 60 and 75mm. About ÂŁ3 for 20.

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I get my socket screws of Amazon 40, 50, 60 and 75mm. About ÂŁ3 for 20.

It's different screws i'm on about, smaller ones for those switch plates to screw onto the mounting box behind, they are around 2.5mm instead of the usual 3.5mm.

Get yourself to Toolstation and get your screws way cheaper than amazon :)

100 for a fiver

Reply to How do I tile around switches and sockets? - How to tile properly around sockets in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock