Discuss How do I learn about the british standards of tiling? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jond500

Can't really disagree with Dave.

My trade took a 4 year Engineering apprenticeship, then spent another 3 years at night school adding skills. IMO any practical trade can only be learnt by learning the theory bit by bit then applying it over several years until you qualify having come across most issues and problems and then figuring from experience how best to address them.

I'm not a tiler but most people think you can learn a trade on a 2-5 week course in perfect conditions... You don't pay a skilled craftsman for doing the job, you pay them for knowing how to do the job exceptionally well, identifying problems, applying experience and a whole host of other skills that cannot be taught.

D

DHTiling

Can't really disagree with Dave.

You don't pay a skilled craftsman for doing the job, you pay them for knowing how to do the job exceptionally well, identifying problems, applying experience and a whole host of other skills that cannot be taught.

Here here :)

M

Mr T

Couldnt agree more... but i am already a late starter so i want to learn on the job for now so i can start getting paid asap... and i dont mean in a week or 2 i mean when i feel im ready... a lot of people would need 2-4 years training cuz there thick and have no common sense (not onabout you mate).. i am confident enough to say that when i find my place i will be a cery confident tiler within 1-2 years and thats not because im big headed its because i know i will put my all in once im given the chance too.

Reaction score
I have to buy cutters, trowels, levels, and buckets to do my job as a tiler. In fact I cannot do the job without them. They are my tools to do my work - oh and I had to buy BS5385 as a reference. Learn all you like about tiling - BS5385 gets updated regularly (standards change) and to do your job as a tiler you should be working to these standards and you need to keep abreast of the changes. So why gripe if you have to invest a bit of money to ensure you do your job correctly? Would you rather use a £300 Sigma/Rubi/Montolit cutter or a £30 Tilerite plastic cutter to do your job every day?

D

Daveshadowman

a lot of people would need 2-4 years training cuz there thick and have no common sense

Well I must be thick and have no common sense . I did a appentership and have been tiling for over 20 years and I am still learning

M

Mr T

I wasn't aiming that comment at anyone in particular at all mate... sorry you took affence to it mate. @ andy thinkin about it your rite I suppose its more important than the £300 cutter if your looking to make a career out of any trade.

S

SJPurdy

Visit library and read it there or join, get membership number, log onto library site at home and then access read only copies of BS via it. assumes other libraries have same access as Worcestershire.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Our local library doesn't Cary British standards... Fortunately my company buys them for me. I got loads ;-p

Reply to How do I learn about the british standards of tiling? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks