Discuss How do I grout uneven slate mosaic in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
First time poster.....any advice on how best to grout these massively uneven mosaic slate tiles and should they be sealed first and if so, what do you recommend? Thanks in advance

20200809_163603.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt sealing them. You should find they don't absorb much moisture with them being natural stone but you will get grout stuck in all the grooves etc and sealing them first will help when washing off.

They're a pain in the arse to grout.

You'll need to work slow and wash off fairly quick. Work clean and try not get too much grout in the tiles. Use a grout float not a squeegee so you're pushing the grout in the joints rather than going over diagonally with a squeegee which will cover the tiles in grout too.

What's the height of them? 1"?

Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt sealing them. You should find they don't absorb much moisture with them being natural stone but you will get grout stuck in all the grooves etc and sealing them first will help when washing off.

They're a pain in the arse to grout.

You'll need to work slow and wash off fairly quick. Work clean and try not get too much grout in the tiles. Use a grout float not a squeegee so you're pushing the grout in the joints rather than going over diagonally with a squeegee which will cover the tiles in grout too.

What's the height of them? 1"?

Cheers Dan, yeah already got the sealant, thought as much, it was just the application, wasn't sure to use a float or a stiff brush to work the grout in....and yeah 1"....knew they would be a pain in the arse when I got them, but they look good when on the wall.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Cheers Dan, yeah already got the sealant, thought as much, it was just the application, wasn't sure to use a float or a stiff brush to work the grout in....and yeah 1"....knew they would be a pain in the arse when I got them, but they look good when on the wall.
Just seen a picture where the tiles were so close together it wouldn't have taken much more than a finger load of grout to grout it. Perhaps go that way.

Grout will eventually cut you when you're smoothing joints down. It's like a really really slow cutter. It's so abrasive it takes a tiny bit of skin off your finger each time you wipe a grout joint.

So wear gloves if you use your finger.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Those tiles aren’t supposed to be grouted.
Just seal them.

Reply to How do I grout uneven slate mosaic in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks