Discuss How difficult is it to cut a tile at 45 degrees angle? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

JKLstar

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and would like some help regarding the difficulty or time consuming of cutting tiles at 45 degrees angles because:

1- I am having a new bathroom fitted and the fitters had to make some boxes to hide pipes.

2 - The boxes are going to be tiled.

3 - The bathroom fitters told me it is not possible to cut a tile at a 45 degrees angle.

So, I goggled "how to cut a tile at 45 degrees angle?" and found this forum and now I know that 45 degrees angles is possible. Obviously, the bathroom fitters were lying to me, hence I would like to know:

1 - How difficult is it to cut a tile at 45 degrees angle?

2 - Is it a time such a time consuming job, that they opted to have a kind plastic fitting strip for tiles on the outside corner of the boxes?

3 - They are ceramic tiles, hence there will be a red strip on the joints. Do they have to be painted or grout is fine?

I decided to post the question since I have to prove my point to the bathroom fitters and have a better insight on how to talk to them about it. I am a woman (living on my own) in my golden years with no knowledge and they may think I am a fool and gullible person.

Thank you

Regards,

JKLstar

S

Stewart

Cutting ceramic tiles at 45 is very easy and takes no more effort than a straight cut, but setting it out and doing boxes can be more time consuming. As for exposed edges on external corners, I would recommend a plastic or metal trim to finish it off......

Created on iPhone.....

G

Gazzer

What do you mean about the red strip ?? Are the back of the tiles red clay ? If so you shouldnt see any sign of that between the joint of 2 tiles. On the edges you will need Trim unless you mitre the edges.

Reading the post again I believe you are talking about rather than use edging trim you would prefer mitred edges ?

J

JKLstar

The boxes are already built.

The boxes are already built.

This is the photo of the box that cover the radiator pipes and it is already tiled with the plastic tile trim. Would you say the is it the right way to do it and does it looks good?

DSCN0057.jpg

I've spent a lot of money in buying the material and labour is not cheap.... not at all.

I really would like to the bathroom to look nice and functional once it is finished.

Thank you

Regards,

JKLstar

J

JKLstar

What do you mean about the red strip ?? Are the back of the tiles red clay ? If so you shouldnt see any sign of that between the joint of 2 tiles. On the edges you will need Trim unless you mitre the edges.

Reading the post again I believe you are talking about rather than use edging trim you would prefer mitred edges ?

They are ceramic tiles from Topps Tile. I don't know what is mitred edges. I'll google it. Txs

Best,

JKLstar

J

JKLstar

Thank you Sir Ramic,

The tiles are ceramic from Topps Tiles and I'll goggle what mitred edge is.

I just think that the plastic trim is too wide and does not match the colour of the tiles.

The plastic trim around the big box that cover waste pipes and around the large bathroom window will be very noticeable and I don't think it will look nice.

Was it my mistake? Did I chose the wrong tiles? :sad:

I did not know the difference between ceramic and porcelain tiles and I just choose the tiles I liked.

Best,

JKLstar

G

Gazzer

the use of the trim is standard practice but you should have been given the choice of mitred edges or even coloured/metal chrome etc trims to your approval.

J

JKLstar

Sir Ramic

Thank you for the prompt and kind help.

I'll go to Topp Tiles and ask help with buying the right trim for the tiles I chose. Also, I'll ask for the fitters to explain and give me choices as the job proceeds from now on.

However, I would like to mention that another tiler told me the following:

"Since you bought ceramic tiles, you may have them cut at 45 degrees angles. There will be a little gap in the external joint at windows and pipes boxes but they can use ceramic paint or grout to fill the gap so the terracotta/red colour from the ceramic tiles will not be show and it will be a nice finish."

Does it make sense to you?

Regards,

JKLstar

G

Gazzer

It does make sense but with out knowing the exact tile its hard to say if it is a feasible job.

G

Gazzer

I have to say though that I am not a fan of mitred edges on ceramic tiles. I feel it leaves a sharper edge than the rim would and very easy to damage.

J

JKLstar

Sir Ramic

They are White Ceramic sized 40cm x 25cm, Fancy White Wall Tile for bathroom/kitchen.

Tile Front.jpg Tile Back.jpg

Front Back

Topp Tiles link:

Fancy White Wall Tile | Topps Tiles

They are white with fine of light graphite.

How viable do you think is possible to to the work with the advice/suggestion given by the tiler in my previous reply?

PS: My apologies for the questions and time to reply (sometimes I have to take the photos) but it is very important to get a job well done regardless of cost and time. A fitted bathroom is an asset to a home.

Thank you

Regards,

JKLstar

G

Gazzer

Other than the tiler probably looks at it as it will take him longer to do, I cant see any reason why you cant have the edge that you prefer.

Reply to How difficult is it to cut a tile at 45 degrees angle? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks