Discuss Honed Slate in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

wayne

TF
Reaction score
tild a floor in honed slate about four years agog and customer has rung me to quote for cleaning and re-sealing it. It was sealed with lithofin slate seal and I'm just wondering if the sealer needs stripping back first before sealing again. Any advice would be appreciated..

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi, all depends on the condition of the seal at present , if the seal is broken away in traffic areas, white or cloudy or stained in areas- then you can test strip with wax off- or your chosen stripping agent. Leave 6-7 days or until fully dry - re-seal with the slate seal, or your chosen finish.

If the finish is in resonable/good condition and stain free , just needs a light de- grease- test two tiles with diluted power clean- ( water based alkali)1-15. Work in very small sections, application for only 1-2 mins as heavey cleaners can whiten the remaining seal if left on to long,( you will need to strip if this occurs on test) degrease with product and white pad , rinse and towel dry each section, leave again for 4-5 days or until fully dry and then roller ( small foam raidiator roller i find best for this) a light top up coat on and perhaps a second if required after first is dry.hope this helps a bit.

wayne

TF
Reaction score
Floor didn't look too bad just a bit dirty. No cloudy patches or anything like that.theygenerally walk around it with no shoes on as there's ufh underneath. I think the most dirt comes from the dog so will probably try the power clean first cheers

Reply to Honed Slate in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks