Discuss Homeowner Question in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
What's your tiling question? Pictures can be added.

Hello, I have a question about preparing a floor.
My small powder room has sheet vinyl. I've taken a lot of it up, but some of the paper backing is stuck to my particle board flooring underneath.
It's an old house from the 1970s so I'm also concerned that the backing might contain asbestos.
Must I get all the paper backing up or can I just put backer board over it?

P

Perfect Tiling

Hi Mevans. Hard to say without actually seeing the job but I would say to get as much of the vinyl up as possible.....if you think the backing paper contains asbestos then mask up and don't remove it causing dust. Make sure that the floor is fairly solid with no bounce. Prime the floor with an APD style primer the same as the adhesive you'll use. Put down backer boards (6mm) such as hardibacker or BAL board with a thinset adhesive and screws...stagger the boards and tape joints with fila tape. If the floor needs levelled then put down a fibre reinforced self leveller at this stage to give you a good solid level floor to tile onto.

Reaction score
Hi Mevans. Hard to say without actually seeing the job but I would say to get as much of the vinyl up as possible.....if you think the backing paper contains asbestos then mask up and don't remove it causing dust. Make sure that the floor is fairly solid with no bounce. Prime the floor with an APD style primer the same as the adhesive you'll use. Put down backer boards (6mm) such as hardibacker or BAL board with a thinset adhesive and screws...stagger the boards and tape joints with fila tape. If the floor needs levelled then put down a fibre reinforced self leveller at this stage to give you a good solid level floor to tile onto.
Thanks for the reply!
The floor is solid, no bounce. I placed a 4 foot level on the floor, and it shows as level too. My main question is: can I put the hardibacker over the remaining paper backing?
I'm attaching a photo of the floor (with paper backing still stuck to it) to give you a better idea.
Again, I really appreciate your advice-- thank you!

Attachments

• Powder Room Floor.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 13
P

Perfect Tiling

That'll be fine...just put on a coat of watered down APD style primer and allow to dry.

Reply to Homeowner Question in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks