Discuss Hollow sounds under porcelain tiles in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Please help... I have numerous large format floor tiles that, when tapped, sound hollow as if there are voids underneath. Our builders, and their tiler, are trying to tell me this is ok. Everything I read says it should be close to 100% adhered. I'm at my whits end with this... And to make matters worse, the tiles are no longer made so if they are lifted and they break, there are no spares. Grateful for any advice... Thanks!

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If the tiles are lifted they wont be reusable anyway. Holliw sound either generally means delamination or dot and dab. Either need to be resolved so......

Reaction score
If the tiles are lifted they wont be reusable anyway. Holliw sound either generally means delamination or dot and dab. Either need to be resolved so......
Thanks Ajax123... Must say I was very sceptical about them being in one piece once lifted... Not heard of delamination... only there not being enough adhesive or the adhesive having 'gone off' being laying... Just believe it not to be right.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Delamination is just a posh word to say that the tiles are coming away from the sub base

S

Steve the tiler

De lamination It means your sub base as in ply wood is splitting
If your tiles are down tight and grout is not cracking it should be fine.
Come across this all the time in even floors.
In order to keep floor level you may need to dot and dab a tile or two.
This is normal as they ain’t a perfect level floor on the planet.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
De lamination It means your sub base as in ply wood is splitting
If your tiles are down tight and grout is not cracking it should be fine.
Come across this all the time in even floors.
In order to keep floor level you may need to dot and dab a tile or two.
This is normal as they ain’t a perfect level floor on the planet.
Plywood???? did i miss something :)

Reply to Hollow sounds under porcelain tiles in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks