Discuss Hollow Sounds and Space under edge of tiles? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Chris101

We are having our kitchen redone due to problems with our suspended flooring.
As a result we have put a concrete floor down.
We have just had our tiler start on the job - laying 40m2 of porcelain tiles (60*60)

We have just inspected some of the tiles that were laid and have noticed that a couple of them sound hollow in places and when we look around the edges of the tiles, you can see gaps between the base of the tile and concrete flooring.

Please see pictures attached.

*We also have underfloor heating which had been left on by the builders before the tiler started the job, not sure if any relevance to the above?

Is this normal or do we have a problem?!

20170902_211317.jpg 20170902_211338.jpg 20170902_211346.jpg

F

Flintstone

The underfloor heating should be switched off at least 48 hours before tiling, is it on whilst he is tiling ? It's tricky to tell exactly how he has fixed the tiles

W

WetSaw

As above. Also the floor doesn't seem very flat looking at the edge of the tiles. There does look like a lot of voids on the edge of the tiles.

F

Flintstone

The floor does look uneven which isn't great. It's really not right that he's tiling whilst the floor is heated! Did he put any adhesive on the back of the tile?

F

Flintstone

What's the reason for you secretly filming your tiler? Did you suspect something? He isn't back buttering, and he isn't bedding the tiles in in the slightest, very poor methods chris.

C

Chris101

Secretly filming?
The whole project has been filmed and each tradesman was made aware so they didn't just turn up with a camera in their face.
Main reason was for exactly this reason - so we do not get done over again and can see exactly what is going on.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
A cursory glance with a rubber mallet on the face of the tile ,skipping the back buttering process,together with the voids. ( not good practice im afraid).

I

Italy

if I understood correctly,
Was the heating turned off an hour earlier?
(that's no good).
buttering, it is not compulsory up to 60cm,
but it is better to do so.
it does not beat the tiles with a rubber hammer,
because the hammer is black ..... :( primitive)
it needs a white hammer.
when using the clamp to pull clips
I'm crying. :(

W

WetSaw

Filming every tradesmen !!
What's the world coming to.
Don't know about anyone else but that leaves a funny taste in my mouth.. :(

I'd have politely declined the job. I can understand the owner if they've had trouble in the past but for me if there's no trust to begin with it's not a good start. I also wonder whether the tradesmen agreed to the video being posted on the internet and how that would look in court if problems arose.

Reply to Hollow Sounds and Space under edge of tiles? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks