Discuss Hole or air bubble within porcelain? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi can anyone help me understand what has happened to this tile? It is porcelain and dropping a lightweight plastic chair (leg shown) has caused this hole. It looks like there was an air bubble within the tile. Is that a thing? I can’t find anything like this on the web.

The tiles are also badly laid on concrete screed with wet underfloor heating. We are in dispute with our builder over the installation. The floor wasn’t very level before they went down, he didn’t use any kind of uncoupling mat or expansion joints in the large floor area and although he denies it, i believe parts of the floor were spot adhered. So we are expecting and have noticed air pockets forming.

However, this really looks like a problem within the tile. I will be going to the tile supplier about this but would appreciate some advice from you experts. Many thanks.

A50F95ED-D0EB-4F76-A068-0DB709367568.jpeg

Reaction score
Hi can anyone help me understand what has happened to this tile? It is porcelain and dropping a lightweight plastic chair (leg shown) has caused this hole. It looks like there was an air bubble within the tile. Is that a thing? I can’t find anything like this on the web.

The tiles are also badly laid on concrete screed with wet underfloor heating. We are in dispute with our builder over the installation. The floor wasn’t very level before they went down, he didn’t use any kind of uncoupling mat or expansion joints in the large floor area and although he denies it, i believe parts of the floor were spot adhered. So we are expecting and have noticed air pockets forming.

However, this really looks like a problem within the tile. I will be going to the tile supplier about this but would appreciate some advice from you experts. Many thanks.

View attachment 123283

Attachments

• 10159113-41FD-4710-80AE-2016665FBF76.jpeg
    405 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
They are im afraid
That’s ok though because it gives me the terminology to chase up the manufacturer and slight reassurance that this wasn’t due to the builder’s poor workmanship (which may result in a new floor but i wanted to put that off at least until after 6 months of renovations finishes!!)

Thanks Dave, your time is appreciated

Reply to Hole or air bubble within porcelain? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks