Discuss Hi, I'm a mosaic maker/potter. I make my own tesserae and mosaics loosely in the roman tradition. in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Embarking on large scale project, Have previously made mosaics using reverse method, sticking tesserae onto brown paper using wallpaper paste, then sand in gaps, ring of steel round the mosaic and concrete. When solid, turning it over, washing off paper and sand from gaps and grouting. Now making a floor in panels. Can I still work on brown paper with wallpaper paste and make lots of square panels and then could an expert tiler fix it to the floor as a whole? Tesserae not all the same thickness (though within a couple of millimetres) Want it to last a very long time.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you got any pictures of that kinda of stuff? I'm from The Potteries in Staffordshire. That's the kinda stuff we have some bespoke small potters doing at the local fairs. From what it sounds like anyway.

Welcome to the forum @helen baron

O

Old Mod

Hi and welcome to the forum Helen, what’s the project?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hi, Here are a couple that are about a metre across and a pic of me working on a larger rectangular table top (in reverse)

10564373.jpg
577x574.jpg
10564430.jpg

Reaction score
Have you got any pictures of that kinda of stuff? I'm from The Potteries in Staffordshire. That's the kinda stuff we have some bespoke small potters doing at the local fairs. From what it sounds like anyway.

Welcome to the forum @helen baron
Thanks for replying, I've posted some pics. I'd be very interested to see the kind of work your local potters have done.

O

Old Mod

It's just an idea at the moment, but the idea is to do a patchwork of square mosaics of different local stories and characters.
Sounds very interesting Helen, please post progress reports/images along the way if you go for it. (Which you should :))

So I’m no expert when it comes to manufacturing mosaic, however if I read it correct you say you fill with concrete on the back, correct?
If this is for a floor covering, I would have said you would be better off leaving them as paper faced mosaic so that the tesserae can be adhered direct to the substrate with adhesive.
I would expect the concrete to deteriorate because of its minimal thickness over time.
Then the tesserae would debond from the floor.
As a paper faced mosaic they’d stay fixed to the substrate if fixed correctly.

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Reaction score
Wow that looks great! How long does that take you to do?

Reaction score
Sounds very interesting Helen, please post progress reports/images along the way if you go for it. (Which you should :))

So I’m no expert when it comes to manufacturing mosaic, however if I read it correct you say you fill with concrete on the back, correct?
If this is for a floor covering, I would have said you would be better off leaving them as paper faced mosaic so that the tesserae can be adhered direct to the substrate with adhesive.
I would expect the concrete to deteriorate because of its minimal thickness over time.
Then the tesserae would debond from the floor.
As a paper faced mosaic they’d stay fixed to the substrate if fixed correctly.
Hi, That's great, it's exactly what I hoped to hear! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

Reply to Hi, I'm a mosaic maker/potter. I make my own tesserae and mosaics loosely in the roman tradition. in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks