Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss product like no more ply when tiling a first floor bathroom in a new (2018) build house? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
My house was built in 2018, the floor is sheet boarded which I believe to be green chipboard. I am told these are bonded together as well as to the I joists. There is not a lot of movement but I am no expert. So I ask "is it necessary to use a product like no more ply when tile a first floor bathroom in a new (2018) build house?".

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Richard,

Yes it would need to be boarded over with a suitable tile backer board. Not plywood. Chipboard is not a suitable substrate to be tiled direct to.

I can only assume you have had a tiler tell you this and you doubt it? Quite a common one when I quote new builds also.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi Richard,

Yes it would need to be boarded over with a suitable tile backer board. Not plywood. Chipboard is not a suitable substrate to be tiled direct to.

I can only assume you have had a tiler tell you this and you doubt it? Quite a common one when I quote new builds also.
Hi Tony. Thank you for the response. It was suggested by a colleague but was unsure since it was not mentioned when I bought the tiles and sundries to complete the job. From the research I have done I like the sound of the 6mm no more ply backer board and fixings. Would you agree this to be a suitable product?

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yeah 6mm no more ply will be suffice, I don't use no more ply I use 6mm hardiebacker board instead but they will do the same job 🙂. Just different methods to fix them.

Kudos to your colleague as they saved your bacon and to you for looking into it further also 😁

Last edited:

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Same as @Tony_C, I prefer 6mm Hardie on floors over No More Ply.

I find it easier to screw down as it doesn’t split as easily on the edges and the boards are bigger so better coverage for your £.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yeah 6mm no more ply will be suffice, I don't use no more ply I use 6mm hardiebacker board instead but they will do the same job 🙂. Just different methods to fix them.

Kudos to your colleague as they saved your bacon and to you for looking into it further also 😁
Thanks again Tony.

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I much prefer the bal board now, you tried it?

I have actually, I bought some when they had the BAL trade day at CTD to try it out. It is much lighter and easier to cut but a little more expensive. Also the bal rep said they actually recommended the 12mm for floors 🤔. I went for the 6mm. I'd happily use it again

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What tape are you using with it @JulianSidney ? I got the boards from ctd but they didnt stock the bal scrim tape, rep said use any Alkali resistant tape but i struggled to get Hardie tape to adhere to it, however i put it down to it being an old half roll i had in the van for a while that perhaps lost its stickiness

D

Dumbo

What tape are you using with it @JulianSidney ? I got the boards from ctd but they didnt stock the bal scrim tape, rep said use any Alkali resistant tape but i struggled to get Hardie tape to adhere to it, however i put it down to it being an old half roll i had in the van for a while that perhaps lost its stickiness
I find old rolls not very good.

J

J Sid

Yes, I use the hardie tape, doesn't stick great, even a new roll. I go over it as I put it down with some rapid one. Damp sponge over it to smooth it if needed

Reply to product like no more ply when tiling a first floor bathroom in a new (2018) build house? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock