Discuss Hgv to tiling in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi guys

My names James currently looking at a possible career change, im currently a hgv driver and although i do enjoy it somedays im looking at a career that could possibly be more family friendly. With the potential to earn more aswell.

Id be doing a short course of possibly 1 or more than likely 2 weeks, im ex forces so hopefully can get funding from elcas still. After the course id either be looking at doing jobs alongside my full time job to build up a name for myself, unless can find a full time tiler in my area willing to take someone on with limited knowledge.

Any advice/criticisms of my plans more than welcome.

Thanks

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Good morning James
Welcome to the forum. I was also a HGV driver for twenty one years then went to college on a one year City&Guilds Level2 course which for me, is the only type of course that will not only give you the skills and the technical knowledge to be a tiler it will give you a qualification that is recognised around the world if you ever think of moving abroad. One thing to remember though, once you have finished your tiling course it is just like passing your driving test. You might have the skills to pass the test but now you start to learn, and there is no end of learning as you will find out just by following this forum and listening to the others debate what should/could be done, what can/can't be done, what BS 5385 says. tips when you come across situations that are not in any book, discussions on best practice ect. This forum is a font of knowledge. I am a massive fan of education and though I do think that attending a certified training college or centre is the best way to go, I travel the length and breadth of the UK and meet tilers that have never set foot in a college but have been taught by dads and granddads and the quality of their tiling is awesome so don't be put off attending a short course if you can find the right one. One thing is for sure, the hours are better than being an HGV driver.
Best of luck

Reaction score
Good morning James
Welcome to the forum. I was also a HGV driver for twenty one years then went to college on a one year City&Guilds Level2 course which for me, is the only type of course that will not only give you the skills and the technical knowledge to be a tiler it will give you a qualification that is recognised around the world if you ever think of moving abroad. One thing to remember though, once you have finished your tiling course it is just like passing your driving test. You might have the skills to pass the test but now you start to learn, and there is no end of learning as you will find out just by following this forum and listening to the others debate what should/could be done, what can/can't be done, what BS 5385 says. tips when you come across situations that are not in any book, discussions on best practice ect. This forum is a font of knowledge. I am a massive fan of education and though I do think that attending a certified training college or centre is the best way to go, I travel the length and breadth of the UK and meet tilers that have never set foot in a college but have been taught by dads and granddads and the quality of their tiling is awesome so don't be put off attending a short course if you can find the right one. One thing is for sure, the hours are better than being an HGV driver.
Best of luck

Hi glynn thanks dor the reply, yea i understand i wont be perfect to start with but at least will give the capabilities to go on and work and get better with practice. Hoping that i can find someone who will let me tag along in mh area sometimes so feel good enough to go out on my own. And probably do small jobs on the side of driving and eventually decrease driving to be able to do it full time.

Reply to Hgv to tiling in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks