Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Herringbone walls ! The definitive answer? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
macten

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Putting tray in and overboarding the floor tomorrow.
But this is first look at my herringbone challenge and although the 2nd pic looks a bit bendy the walls are bang on flat and plumb. Just a shame it's a sloped ceiling and someone wants an alcove :(:mad:
The tiles are small 2''x 8'' or less but the inside of the alcove will be a solid white gloss tile of some sort so at least it doesn't need wrapping into that.
I did suggest normal tile with a herringbone feature in the alcove but they were having none of it :D

IMG_1246.JPG

IMG_1247.JPG

OP
macten

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Back off my hols and on to this :(
Thought I'd post my (slow progress) as a help to others who are wary of the 45 herringbone wall and share the triumphs and potential pit falls as I go.
So this morning I worked from home (that's a first) and dry set out on some scraps of Hardi and cut some jigs to help me out. Also using Leemacs' advice I set out for the 1400mm tray by striking the centre line on one of my jigs. Got there after dinner and got a bit done. Going great at the moment but not sure what's going to happen when I hit the alcove, sloping ceiling and the wrap arounds as it makes my head hurt, but all good so far!

IMG_1287.JPG IMG_1288.JPG IMG_1289.JPG

Last edited:
OP
macten

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
One question - I've been lucky that I get full tiles at each end on this main wall (apart from the 45 corner cut off obviously) So to do a true wrap around I would use the little corner pieces but I'm thinking it would look much better to just mirror it? I know that's not the correct way and with smaller cuts it looks naff, but to the eye would you really notice? Got to look better than tiny triangles - what would you do?

Reaction score
If you mirror the points may look a bit odd but like you said no little bits.The thing that I would check is where does each pattern finish on the tray edge If square it should look pretty much the same as the back wall you have already done.So visually mirror may look better in this instance.

Last edited:
OP
macten

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Re-clad the sill and side reveal of alcove to give me nicer cuts.
Toyed with the idea of building out the right-hand side reveal to totally equalise it all, but I've already shrunk it down and that would have meant losing a really big chunk of it.
Success with the most worrying part - going either side of alcove and meeting up again above it.

IMG_1291.JPG

IMG_1292.JPG

IMG_1293.JPG

IMG_1296.JPG

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
OP
macten

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Really wanted to finish the main wall today as it was my first proper full day at it but didn't quite manage it. 5pm and I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Sick of it now to be honest :mad:
Grey grout so no place for cheeky cheats :(

IMG_1297.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG

IMG_1299.JPG

IMG_1300.JPG

IMG_1301.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG

Reply to Herringbone walls ! The definitive answer? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock