Discuss Herringbone pattern issue fireplace surround in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New to the forum and new to tiling. I am redoing my fireplace surround and wanted to do a herringbone pattern on the floor with 3x6 subway tile. I measured the middle 3 times, and dry layed the pattern out and still was off a inch on the right creating small pieces. I really took my time and did the best preplanning I could. Pretty upset about this, do you think I should tear this out and start over? If so, any advice? Thank you

Nick
809E2632-7BF1-42D9-BAD1-D16F55AA6508.jpeg

Reaction score
Hi Angry,

Thanks for the reply. I didn’t explain myself well. I meant the pattern was off an inch. After looking at numerous herringbone completed jobs online, it looks like many have done the same as I did.
I’m not sure with my small area, but even if I adjusted it, it would have created other areas that weren’t symmetrical. I grouted it today and it’s a non issue after looking at it. I appreciate your reply!
ECF86FE5-6D94-4B81-A752-A44D49BBBC18.jpeg

D

Dumbo

Typical herringbone schoolboy issue , the thing is with hb the centre line of the tiles isnt where you think it is . The centre runs up the middle of the end of the tiles not on any of the corners of the tiles

Reply to Herringbone pattern issue fireplace surround in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks