Discuss Herringbone feature wall set out in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

llevram

TF
Reaction score
Hello, I’m thinking of Tiling the bath wall in my bathroom as a feature in herringbone 45 using 200 x 100 porcelain tiles.
The witdth of my bath is the same with as the wall.
The wall is flat and has been plastered.
Looking for any advice on,
-Where to start? As in work up from the bath or start in the middle of the wall.
-Is there a way/rule on the set out so the cuts each side are the same size.
-What adhesive/primer would you recommend? S1 powder adhesive or tubbed ready mixed.

Any thing else/tips you think may help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks In advance

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Centre the wall and work off a baton.
20160921_124759.jpg

IMG_20180126_190926.png

T

Tommcd

I normally dry lay a load of tiles on a flat surface first, using a set square to ensure the angles are exactly 90 degrees. I then measure between the 'peaks' and use this measurement as my tile size for setting out purposes. (Not sure what the correct term is, probably not 'peak'). I then set the wall out using the measurements between the peaks.

I draw vertical lines up the wall at these set distances. It's very easy with a herringbone tile to have a sort of banana effect where you go off the line and it can get very hard/impossible to get back on track (definitely use a slow set adhesive!). So choose a point in the pattern and make sure this point of each tile stays exactly on the line.

I use a laser to ensure the vertical line is kept true, I also use a laser horizontal line to check all my peaks are all level with each other.

I understand this is all extremely hard to visualise, but if you image search for 'setting out herringbone' you'll see lots of ways of doing it. Even if the diagram is for setting out wood herringbone floor, the same principles apply.

llevram

TF
Reaction score
Cheers for that mate

I normally dry lay a load of tiles on a flat surface first, using a set square to ensure the angles are exactly 90 degrees. I then measure between the 'peaks' and use this measurement as my tile size for setting out purposes. (Not sure what the correct term is, probably not 'peak'). I then set the wall out using the measurements between the peaks.

I draw vertical lines up the wall at these set distances. It's very easy with a herringbone tile to have a sort of banana effect where you go off the line and it can get very hard/impossible to get back on track (definitely use a slow set adhesive!). So choose a point in the pattern and make sure this point of each tile stays exactly on the line.

I use a laser to ensure the vertical line is kept true, I also use a laser horizontal line to check all my peaks are all level with each other.

I understand this is all extremely hard to visualise, but if you image search for 'setting out herringbone' you'll see lots of ways of doing it. Even if the diagram is for setting out wood herringbone floor, the same principles apply.

Reply to Herringbone feature wall set out in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks