Discuss Help with Timber Floor Preparation in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Bartlett

Hi, I am a old forum member from several years ago who has just signed up again. Like many others I did some tile training in Harlow and thought I could go out and become a tiler and I did quite a few jobs and they went okay. I enjoy tiling and I'm a bit of a perfectionist (good quality in a tiler?!) but I was obviously slow and very inexperienced but after a while I wasn't getting enough work and wasn't earning enough, and within a couple of years I realised how good other tilers were compared to me and I went back to my old job and I'm still doing it. Which is fine.
But now I need to do some work on my own house, a pretty big bathroom, 4m x 4m, and I wonder if I can ask some advice? Some of my questions have been answered already by searching the forum.
It's a very solid period property with sound timber floorboards and the bathroom is on the first floor. I previously did a few jobs where I laid 6mm cement boards over floorboards before tiling and I wonder if this is still a good plan? Or is there a new product you can recommend which would work better or is cheaper or superior? Some kind of matting maybe?
Would appreciate any help, thanks.

T

Time's Ran Out

Welcome back - went to school with a Bartlett ( he got the nickname Pears!)
So what size tile are you using, cement boards with adhesive and mechanically fixed should suffice but every job is different.

B

Bartlett

Thanks for the reply. Not bought tiles yet but theme is definitely Victorian and I think the wife is interested in something black and white checks so almost certainly not large format. Using cement boards was fine previously, did the in-laws kitchen/diner like that and it still looks good and definitely no movement. I just wondered if there was something new on the scene and everyone would laugh and say 'cement boards? ha ha, no-one uses them anymore!'

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If boards are in good condition, the usual is 6mm cement boards, glued and screwed, then tile. :)

B

Blunt Tool

As above, the uncoupling mat would have been required if you were going with a natural stone.

Reply to Help with Timber Floor Preparation in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks