Discuss Help Vinyl Flooring !! in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

A

Alpha Omega

Hi all

Went to quote a wet room last night,
Customer wants the vinyl floor like in hospitals to keep the cost down ?

I have no experience at all with this type of vinyl so any help would be appreciated

I have been thinking for sometime of investing in the gear needed so maybe now is the time, what do you think ? do many people have this over tiles ?

Firstly what equipment is needed to heat seal
How do you seal the corners
where do the tiles finish or should I suggest running the vinyl up the wall as per the hospital ?

I don't want to walk away from this as there's quite a bit of tiling involved

Thanks

Gary

G

grumpygrouter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why do they think it will keep the costs down, some of this flooring can be very expensive stuff! have they priced it?

A

Alpha Omega

Hi Grumpy

All left to me, have found a supplier prices per mtr which are fairly good so feel like giving it a go, thought it may be a good addition

I know it won't be much cheaper but still good to be able to offer me thinks !

Last edited by a moderator:
T

theyomper

This type of flooring is normally ALTRO Safety flooring. It has non slip properties and believe it or not is has metal filings in it. It will eat stanley blades. Any joins are normally heat welded and internal and external corners take a bit of forming to get them right. It is normal practice to use a heavy roller to ensure there is full adhesion to the sub floor.

You are able to buy formers to ensure a even perimeter........imagine coving on the floor.

Have you thought about subbying it out and making a bit on it rather than buying all the correct tools to do it with?

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reactions
862 6
If you have no experience with Vinils I would recomend subbing this bit out to an experienced layer. As with tiles in wet areas vinyls can be tricky buggers. If you don't weld the joints properly or if you don't seal the edges or round door frames etc you can get water into the substrate which can pop the vinyl. Most vinyls will also require a levelling compound underneath. Hospital Bathroom are never very pretty places. I also visit a lot of them in my work where vinyls have delaminated because of damp issues.

Just like tiling it is specific skill set and there are training courses available for pro's. If you do want to sub it out you could get a list of fitters in your area thorugh the contract flooring association CFA - Contract Flooring Association. If you want to go on a course I know they also do these through their FITA organisation.

It would also I think look horrible in a domestic bathroom unless you go for a good quality weith design but that is purely a matter of opinion. I would prefer to see tiles myself.

A

Alpha Omega

This type of flooring is normally ALTRO Safety flooring. It has non slip properties and believe it or not is has metal filings in it. It will eat stanley blades. Any joins are normally heat welded and internal and external corners take a bit of forming to get them right. It is normal practice to use a heavy roller to ensure there is full adhesion to the sub floor.

You are able to buy formers to ensure a even perimeter........imagine coving on the floor.

Have you thought about subbying it out and making a bit on it rather than buying all the correct tools to do it with?

I have looked into this vinyl malarkie and understand the principles,
I am prepared to buy the correct tools,
I have thought about subbying but was concerned about giving a guarantee for someone elses work,

Thanks

A

Alpha Omega

If you have no experience with Vinils I would recomend subbing this bit out to an experienced layer. As with tiles in wet areas vinyls can be tricky buggers. If you don't weld the joints properly or if you don't seal the edges or round door frames etc you can get water into the substrate which can pop the vinyl. Most vinyls will also require a levelling compound underneath. Hospital Bathroom are never very pretty places. I also visit a lot of them in my work where vinyls have delaminated because of damp issues.

Just like tiling it is specific skill set and there are training courses available for pro's. If you do want to sub it out you could get a list of fitters in your area thorugh the contract flooring association CFA - Contract Flooring Association. If you want to go on a course I know they also do these through their FITA organisation.

It would also I think look horrible in a domestic bathroom unless you go for a good quality weith design but that is purely a matter of opinion. I would prefer to see tiles myself.

I think you may be right, Cheers for the info, I will sub it this time if I can't convince them tiles will be better, and then look at courses and take it from there

Thanks again

Gary

Reply to Help Vinyl Flooring !! in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.