Discuss Help! Tiling trims and finish, in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’m new here and found this forum searching for answers to my tiling problem. We’ve just had our bathroom tiled, with metro white tiles and grey grout. I’m overly unhappy with it but it’s the finish that’s really bugging me. First of all the tile trims. I think they look pretty awful but the tiler says it’s because of the type of tiles I’ve chosen. It looks roughly stuck on to me. I’m so unsure about it as I know nothing about tiling so thought I’d ask here. Also the grout is pooling in the corners which again he says is because of the tiles. And the trim at the top where the tiles reach the ceiling looks out of place and just stuck on to me. He was such a lovely guy I think i’ve overlooked things but now he’s gone, the finish is really bugging me. What do you guys think? Am I being really fussy or do I have a point? I don’t know what’s ‘normal’

A3AE0823-58DF-472B-93F4-E9DDF2EF6F12.jpeg

F616CD80-82CA-435A-98FA-C813991C3491.jpeg

C433935A-2E0C-4419-93CD-FF727383A571.jpeg

35BF7CC2-BCB7-47B3-B2D8-B42CB3FC011B.jpeg

6E1D8E78-216B-431B-A110-DBD7E699A1B5.jpeg

DDF43CE3-CE5E-4398-AF47-80FE48BFF29D.jpeg

C28C00F2-7362-4EA6-A89D-8A63799FFC5A.jpeg

E05720A9-7B2C-427B-96B6-36E0C4ECD396.jpeg

8DE17E3C-E24E-4C00-BAAC-734EDBF67C83.jpeg

599917ED-3678-43E8-B6B5-F2C87651158E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Please ignore the first photo. I can’t work out how to delete it and it was a screen shot off the internet!! Not my bathroom!!

G

GoneGuy

The trim work is awful, and on the last picture it looks like pvc trim that’s been used to hide a gap?
I would ask the tiler to come back and re do the trim work

Q

Qwerty

Please ignore the first photo. I can’t work out how to delete it and it was a screen shot off the internet!! Not my bathroom!!

I've deleted it for you

The work is shoddy and no attention to detail in any aspect including the trim.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Not an acceptable standard at all.
That trim work is awful.
Poorly set out, poorly executed, poorly finished.

Sorry.

Reaction score
It is poor from here, usual caveats apply about knowing the history. You do indeed end up with a nasty detail on external edges and to a degree the internal abutments due to the chamfer on the tiles, and the colour of the grout doesn't help. Trim work has no excuses, just poor.
Did he advise you of the problems with these tiles and the external edges beforehand?

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments everyone. I’ve asked him to fix it. I think the problem is that he’s not used to the metro tile style. He didn’t advise any problems with these tiles but I don’t think he’s used to doing them. I didn’t realise this beforehand as he’d done my friend’s bathroom and it looked good but it was dark metro tiles. May I ask what sort of trim he should have used? He seems to think there’s no other trim option.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
The sort of trim isn't the issue, nothing wrong with the trim he used its just how he fitted it. The trims should line up and meet and ideally be mitred and not butted up. The problem with metro tiles is you have the factory edge being 6mm then the center usually being around 8mm thick so you need a trim to cover both thickness and it will always over hang at somepoint.

A couple of idea to help are...

The internal corners should be sealed up and this may help take your eye away from the pulling of the black grout in some places. He hasn't really cleaned the grout down properly leaving uneven lines and the black grout will always show any imperfection.

As there is no trim around the rest of the bathroom whatever trim work in the window reveal will always look a bit out of place in my opinion, did you request no trim? I only ask as he could actually achieve that window reveal with no trim. The side internals start with a full tile with factory edges which he could bring out to cover the cut biscuit and the bottom of the ledge also has a full tile with factory edges meeting the top of another factory edge. All this assuming mitring the tiles isn't an option for him.

That pvc strip at the top I've no idea on. Take It off and see what is hiding under it.

It seems he has grouted in the joint where it meets the bath and ran a dirty finger of clear silicone over it?

I hope what I have said makes sense but it can be fixed. just depends on his ability to finish it neater when he comes back.

Last edited:
T

Time's Ran Out

There is not a trim available ( plastic) for external corners that enhances any Metro tiles IMHO.
Mitring the edges is the professional way.
What you have had done is a disgrace to a finishing trade. From the other comments above it’s just needs removing.

Reaction score
Guys! thank you so much. I feel far more confident talking to him now. I’ve messaged him and he’s going to come back next week. I’ve also spotted this at the bath, again can’t think how it should look but know this can’t be right? When the bath pushes in slightly it comes away from the grout and the silicon. Also the trim up by the end of the tiling near the door just looks unfinished too

BF3ACF95-B9DD-487E-8DAC-B3533F94CE29.jpeg

CAECBAC9-5DD7-430B-93BA-5C4D1C9E879E.jpeg

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Coming off the top of the bath there should be a gap of at least 2mm with zero grout in it and sealed up a white silicone, I'd normally colour match but not with black. The grout trapped in there is going to crack and come loose from the bath flexing from stepping in and out. The clear dirty silicone will only get worse. There is no trim where the tiles end, he has just ran a finger of silicone there also. It's seems quite inconsistent but to be honest if he is claiming to be tiler who isn't used to metros that should have raised some suspicion right there as its literally around 50% of my work.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ahh so frustrating. My friends bathroom looks amazing I don’t understand it. But she has a free standing bath and grey metro. I’m so disappointed. Thank you for replying.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
This is the last metro bathroom I done, it was tile master dark grey grout and should give you an idea of the sealing on the internals and bath. I tend not to colour match my silicone with dark grouts if it's on white but I talk it over with the customer first. That's just my personal preference.
20190608_092534.jpg

Wayne Brown

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
FM that's a mess it needs stripping off and starting again the plastic trim hides another **** up ! why go so dark on the grout a lighter grey would be alot better look its more like a grout for floor tiles .
That's how it should look like Tony c work above . Kop

Reply to Help! Tiling trims and finish, in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks