Discuss HELP tiling over vinyl lino flooring in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

D

dannyjm

hey everyone , need some advice on tiling ove vinyl lino flooring which is the best way and products to use ...? i was thinking of scoring the floor all over and laying the new tiles with adhesive over the top is this the correct method to do ... ? thanks :)

I

Ian

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Remove the lino, not a surface suitable for tiling on. If its stuck down well, use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm it up and it should come up easier.

D

dannyjm

i was going to do that but the guy who wants it done wants me to tile over it i explained it should come up but he said itll be fine is there anyway possible that i can tile over it as he doesnt want it removed ?

I

Ian

Why doesn't he want it removed? Tell him if you tile over it, it will need doing again.

D

dannyjm

he just said he doesnt want it removed and i said well i can possibly tile over it but it wont last that long

whitebeam

whitebeam

Arms
Reactions
2,787 3
i was going to do that but the guy who wants it done wants me to tile over it i explained it should come up but he said itll be fine is there anyway possible that i can tile over it as he doesnt want it removed ?
Suddenly the customer is the expert on these matters so why employ a tiler.

Del W

Del W

TF
Arms
Reactions
Remove lino.If you dont your asking for trouble.

N

nybor62

TF
Reactions
if he insists on leaving the vinyl down , then walk away , your making a rod for your own back imo

D

DHTiling

he just said he doesnt want it removed and i said well i can possibly tile over it but it wont last that long

BIG!! Mistake.. you should have stuck to what you said firstly.. It is not suitable to tile over and if it goes wrong then you as the tiler will be responsible, no matter what the customer says..

N

nybor62

TF
Reactions
the only way i would do this ,screw hardi backer board down over it, what is the substrate

I

Ian

if he insists on leaving the vinyl down , then walk away , your making a rod for your own back imo
You can guarantee a phone call within 6 months, 'that floor you did for me, can you come and fix it coz the grout has cracked and some (or all) of the tiles are loose'. If its a budget issue, take it up for free, it'll be cheaper than having to re-fit the whole floor.

Reply to HELP tiling over vinyl lino flooring in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.