Discuss Help! Split face stone tiles on a ‘dry lined’ wall in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

James C

TF
Reaction score
64F9044F-5E2B-48A8-860A-125846A7240D.jpeg
F8398D9C-A46B-4C50-92A8-A8DEF7C1914A.jpeg
Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster etc I hope someone can give me some pointers please

I am doing up the living room and my other half has her heart set on 2 sq metres of split face stone on the wall (I’ve attached an image of her dream!)

The wall is a dry lined wall that’s currently painted (I’ve attached an image of the room as it is, red squiggle shows the areas to be tiled)

What is the best method to attack the job?

Tile straight into the current wall

Or screw something different through into the breeze blocks behind the plasterboard
(Cement boards or ply wood?)

Any help or ideas would be very helpful!

James

W

WetSaw

Looks like you're studding it out anyway so use plasterboard or cement board then tile.

Q

Qwerty

Secure vertical battens at 300 centres and overboard with a tile backer board would be my choice

W

Waluigi

I read it that you want to tile straight on the walls so a cement board over the walls in question, screwed into the block. Screws countersink quite well into Hardiebacker if they’re the fluted type

Observe the permissible cable runs from the sockets though.

James C

TF
Reaction score
I read it that you want to tile straight on the walls so a cement board over the walls in question, screwed into the block. Screws countersink quite well into Hardiebacker if they’re the fluted type

Observe the permissible cable runs from the sockets though.

Thank you all, Waluigi’s idea might be the one that works...

We aren’t studding the bit to be tiled, just the framework for the TV and the electrics.

We are getting tight in depth with the door on the right hand side. We would get away with screwing 6mm cement boards through the existing dry lined wall into the brickwork, then adhesive and tiles on top. Any more depth and the door wouldn’t open!

Waluigi, am I interpreting correctly that this would be your idea? Multiple screws through a 6mm cement board to secure to the brick behind?

Would ply be a workable option? The walls aren’t 100% perfect (new build house!) and I’m concerned the cement board may crack in tightly fixed against a surface that’s not totally flat

Thank you all for your help so far!

W

Waluigi

Cement board won’t crack. Hardiebacker.
Or as already mentioned, an XPS board like Marmox, Wedi, Jackoboard, Orbrey, Dukka etc but these require the washers.

D

Dumbo

If you haven't got your tiles yet can I suggest you go to a good local independent shop like tile source at hedge end .

D

Dumbo

Depending which direction you may find yourself on your travels they also have another branch at Winchester on winnal trading est called london tile company .

James C

TF
Reaction score
Thank you JCR tiling, I actually live in Hedge End, I’m not sure if I’ve been in tile source before, I’ll have to google them!

Reply to Help! Split face stone tiles on a ‘dry lined’ wall in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks