Discuss Help. SLC failed under tiles. in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi, a few years ago I used SLC in a conservatory on to the original concrete base. I primed and followed the pack instructions and info I found on here and let it set for a few weeks I think before tiling over it (I don't rush these things)
Now the tiles sound hollow in certain areas. I removed a chipped tile and realised all of the SLC is dust now. I have a couple of boxes of left over tiles.
Would I be right in thinking I should lift the rest of the tiles in the high traffic area? I'm hoping to not have to dig up the entire floor if I can salvage it. What is the best way of relaying them? without the SLC I would need approx 2cm of adhesive. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• floor.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 35
Reaction score
Did you leave expansion around the perimeter of the room ? . It looks like they have tented.
yes all the way around. The 2 tiles next to the hole are ones I think I should replace. That's the line of the SLC. You can't see it in the picture but the next row of tiles are ok but they would have been on the original concrete.

Reaction score
Very poor installation in the first place. An absolute disaster waiting to happen as there is not a solid-bed thick-bed adhesive bond from the tile to the floor. A dismal installation that I’m surprised has lasted this long.

Reply to Help. SLC failed under tiles. in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks