Discuss Help Restoring Terra-cotta Tiles Which Have Been Under Carpet For Years in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

lander

Having trawled through the internet i have stumbled across this forum and was wondering if anyone could help the dilemma we are currently facing.

We have recently purchased an old victorian terrace which is in dire needs of repair and restoration. When we took up the carpet and lino in the dinning room and kitchen we found some really nice original victorian tiles. My girlfriend immediately fell in love with them and wants to restore them but it is proving incredibly difficult.

We have tried to clean it up using lots of elbow grease a tiling knife and lots of tile cleaner purchased from B&Q but we don't seem to be having much joy. Although the tiles are getting better and look much better when wet as soon as they dry they look covered in a white dust/ cement.

We are not adversed to working hard to restore them but was wondering the best products and tools to use so we are not wasting our time trying lots of different things. I have uploaded some pictures of what we are working with.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Thanks
Ryan

Attachments

• 20150531_164918.jpg
    761.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20150531_164910.jpg
    788.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20150531_164858.jpg
    785.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20150531_164904.jpg
    805.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20150531_164853.jpg
    722.7 KB · Views: 15

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Having trawled through the internet i have stumbled across this forum and was wondering if anyone could help the dilemma we are currently facing.

We have recently purchased an old victorian terrace which is in dire needs of repair and restoration. When we took up the carpet and lino in the dinning room and kitchen we found some really nice original victorian tiles. My girlfriend immediately fell in love with them and wants to restore them but it is proving incredibly difficult.

We have tried to clean it up using lots of elbow grease a tiling knife and lots of tile cleaner purchased from B&Q but we don't seem to be having much joy. Although the tiles are getting better and look much better when wet as soon as they dry they look covered in a white dust/ cement.

We are not adversed to working hard to restore them but was wondering the best products and tools to use so we are not wasting our time trying lots of different things. I have uploaded some pictures of what we are working with.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Thanks
Ryan

Hi Ryan, i would recommend a test to start, using a grout or cement remover , we have Lithofin cement residue remover,others available, test this on two tiles- dilute 1-3 and apply-scrub with a stiff scrubbing brush and get hold a white emulsifying pad and use this to. leave on 3-5 min scrubbing every 1 min. rinse and towel dry.

this should start to remove the salt/residue , if not strengthen the dilution and re apply to test tiles.

if this again does not remove, you may have a whitened out old linseed oil or wax finish, test a suitable stripping agent- we have lithofin wax off. this you use neat and leave on for 12-15 min again scrubbing with stiff brush, rinse and remove after application, you may need to do this twice.

if you remove the salt/cent residue first with the acidic based cleaner,you may have quite a patchy finish left , i think you have old oils within this floor, you can then strip the floor/test tiles with the stripper -this should take the oil out and leave a dry dusty finish (this is what we want). after this work in controlled sections 1 sqm at a time and complete the floor with possibly both products.

i would leave the floor minimum 7-10 days or until fully dry and then seal as you wish. light or dark finishes are available.comment on here if you require help sealing.

Reply to Help Restoring Terra-cotta Tiles Which Have Been Under Carpet For Years in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks