Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss help please - which grout should i use in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
hi,
i've tiled my bathroom and now nervous about grouting it.
is there a type of grout that's easier / better to use for a novice ?

i've been reading some reviews and weber or grout 3000 seem to be what i'm leaning towards ? or BAL seem to have good selection of colours.
i'm a bit concerned that it wont be easy to clean the grout off the surface because they have a matt finish with off white thread lines.
because the tiles are matt would it be a good idea to seal them ? also would it be worth sealing the grout or even using epoxy grout ?
i've seen some grouting videos and doing large areas with a lot of clean up looks stressful.
i guess because the tiles are the non shiney type i should try and get them as clean as possible before the grout sets ? maybe if i leave grout on the tiles they may not clean up well the next day or dis-colour them.

all advice welcome many thanks.

20190721_102214.jpg

20190721_102227.jpg

20190721_102317.jpg

OP
C
Reaction score
i'm thinking an off white to match the lines in the tiles.
mapai do a moon white which looked good but a course fiinish and i was worried about it going dirty.
the weber samples seem to be a finer finish and i can't remember maybe jasmine or limestone colour ?
the tiles are a brown/grey colour and most grey grouts seem to clash.
BAL seemed to have a wider selection of off whites but i'm unsure on the quality.
i haven't looked at grout3000 yet in person, but on their website almond looks good but again look grainy.
i was just going to use white grout until guy in shop said will look too bright.

i've got a good quality grout float but guess i should get some sponges etc

J

J Sid

Never used 3000, bal for me as very user friendly I find. I also find the new weber grouts very good

OP
C
Reaction score
i'll goto grout3000 stockist tomorrow and see if they have some samples, but the photo on website it looks a bit textured.
i used some weber https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and the powder is very fine so i guess their grouts are similar, and there samples the grout looks very tough.
i guess want something that doesn't set too fast and smooth and creamy so it doesn't drag out ?
i haven't done any grouting in 20 years and i think i just did it tile by tile and used fingers and sponge.
i have a rubber float so i'll try and do it better this time .
would it be a good idea to spray seal the grout ? or because my tiles are matt and textured maybe they wont clean up well ?

thanks, chris

Glynn

TF
Reaction score
Who ever's grout you choose make sure you choose it from a proper grout sample made from the grout you are going to use and not a paper or plastic swatch. you may be disappointed with the colour match. I have always washed off in two stages, 1st with an emulsifying pad and then 2nd with a good grouting sponge to smooth the grout. The emulsifying pad will remove the excess off the surface without scooping grout from the joint. Also be aware of the temperatures we are being forecast and maybe don't choose a fast setting grout. For me, the secret to grouting is timing. Wait till the grout just starts to firm up in the joint before you start to wash off then give it another 10/15 minute before you do the second wash, after that any residue dust on the surface should just polish off.

F

Flintstone

I don't think you will need to emulsify unless the grout goes past the point of no return! Grout 3000 is very quick setting and in this heat for a novice I think it may cause you problems.

OP
C
Reaction score
good points , thanks.
i'll probably go with BAL micromax 2 manilla or jasmine from topps tiles.
it says sets in 2-3 hrs, so if i apply it and remove the bulk of it with rubber trowel then a clean off with sponge when it starts to set ? and the misting should clean off the tiles the next day.
i'll try it on a small area first on a cool evening.
is it a good idea to use a finishing tool or fingers on the joints ? or does it all get done with rubber trowel and sponge ?
i guess if i mix it too runny makes a mess or if sponge is too wet.
if i get air bubbles what should i do ? wait until is sets a bit then smooth them out ?
toolstation do a vitrex sponge for 2.50 that has different surfaces a white side for removing grout and the other for smoothing , would it be worth getting one ? or is it better idea to get a pro sponge ?
i do have a blue emulsifying pad but it's very course.

Glynn

TF
Reaction score
Mix it as instructed on the packaging. Some tilers use a "PIG" to help smooth the joints but there should be no need if you follow the instructions on the bag. If you are going to use an emulsifying pad I would go with a white one in case any colour leeches out.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Weber premium for me. Easy to mix. Easy to apply. Gives you loads of time to wash off. Has a stain block (i.e. has a built in sealer). It is smooth and it is a uniform colour.

I use it all the time (apart from today when i had to use Mapei ☹️

OP
C
Reaction score
BAL micromax 2 says rapid setting so maybe Weber is better for me.
the BAL colour i wanted they don't do a matching silicone and topps tiles recommend using the next closest one .
should i also be trying to get grout in any trims gaps ? or is it better to use silicone and not scratch the trims.
what about the tiled corners should i grout them and then silicone on top ? some of the joints have 1mm gaps and some touch, i was thinking if i grout them all square first then siliconing would be easier to get them even.
maybe i should get a pro in but maybe my grouting will be just as good.

Reply to help please - which grout should i use in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock