Discuss Help Needed With Herringbone in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to do a herringbone shower enclosure with 7.5cm x 30cm tiles. When these are laid out on the floor with spacers, after a certain time the gap becomes larger.

4 x 7.5 = 30 but this obviously doesn't take into account the spacing for grout. So after laying a certain number of tiles they won't line up properly.

Is it possible to herringbone tiles this shape and size or will it always end up looking uneven?

Thanks,

Paul

J

John form

Hi,

I need to do a herringbone shower enclosure with 7.5cm x 30cm tiles. When these are laid out on the floor with spacers, after a certain time the gap becomes larger.

4 x 7.5 = 30 but this obviously doesn't take into account the spacing for grout. So after laying a certain number of tiles they won't line up properly.

Is it possible to herringbone tiles this shape and size or will it always end up looking uneven?

Thanks,

Paul

J

John form

It is impossible to line them up if they are same size tile, as there is no grout line on the single vertical, it’s hard to explain, it’s like the basket weave say you have two tiles together in the horizontal, say they are 200x100 metro tiles when you put two tiles together on the horizontal with say a 3mm grout line makes them 203 wide the two vertical tiles will always be 200 so a difference of 3mm due to grout lines. I see all these pictures of the different patterns and unless you have no grout lines I don’t know how they do it.

bsc ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It works.... get your angles and your lines right, you may need to adjust
a little as you go but herringbone is only an end of tile and a full tile
then it turns so only 1 joint in each, if uv not done a lot of tiling
its not an easy one to do but its not impossable. Not hard for a pro tiler

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As long as you stay 45 degrees and perfectly square then it’ll work fine.

C

Chris Metcalfe

It works.... get your angles and your lines right, you may need to adjust
a little as you go but herringbone is only an end of tile and a full tile
then it turns so only 1 joint in each, if uv not done a lot of tiling
its not an easy one to do but its not impossable. Not hard for a pro tiler

You are right, it is only an end and a full tile, however the overall line of the pattern will be offset by one grout line every repetition. This makes setting out a nightmare as your edge cuts will all be slightly different. I've not been able to find any answer on if and how others have overcome this.

Reply to Help Needed With Herringbone in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks