Discuss Help - issues with kitchen tile floor due to demolition downstairs in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Due to demolition works on our ground floor, neighbour above complained that this has resulted to their kitchen floor to loosen plus hairline cracks on 2 tiles. So they want a solution to get the floor back to what it used to be as they do not have spare tiles and these tiles are from some obscure company from Turkey. Asked 2 tile repairers who just said they will not be able to repair the cracked tiles with no explanation. Would be grateful for any advise on what kind of solutions are available? Thanks.

Last edited:

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Pictures are worth a thousand words…
But ..hair line cracks are usually caused by movement/settlement
If there are no spare tiles then there is a problem depending on where the cracks are (through the actual tile of grout margins)
GW.

Reaction score
Hello and really appreciate the response. Attaching a photo for reference where you can just about see the crack on the tile and along the grout. I am also told that the 'floor' feels loose after the demolition work below (we knocked down walls) which makes me wonder over the tiling quality of their kitchen floor in the first place (let's just say the building works upstairs were done by extremely shoddy builders who closed their company down in order to avoid dealing with warranties).

As for whether the cracks were caused by our demolition work, that is what our neighbours reported to us after the demolition works started. Our own builders are refusing to fix the issue and it has been nearly a year this has dragged on.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20211107_164713.jpg
    664.5 KB · Views: 19

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There’s every possibility that the original Tiling wasn’t up to grade/was blown /delaminated prior to your works and your neighbours are trying it on !!
In my opinion you should get a building surveyor to assess and give his / her professional opinion ..
Surprised a local Tiler can’t/won’t write a report as well…,
GW.

bsc ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I must agree. Its up to them to prove your works caused any damage.
If you cant get the tiles again will they want it all done?
Could have been cracked before and they trying it on.
but on the other hand do you want hassle with a neighbour?

Reaction score
Hello there, thanks and yeah, I prefer not to sour the relationship with the neighbour (we are on good terms). So they are planning to get a tiler in to assess it. They were originally waiting for us to get our builders to fix it but as you have rightly pointed out, without any concrete proof, the builder refused to have anything to do with it. The irony is that the neighbour did crack one tile (large object fell on it and 'smashed' the tile into several pieces which they applied duct tape all over it) but hey, that is nothing compared to 2 tiles with hairline cracks and the general 'loose' feeling.

If anyone have any recommendations for good tilers for East London, I am all ears. Especially if the tiler can help validate that the demolition work did not cause all the problems (or that it was a catalyst to bad tiling in the first place!)

Thanks again.

Kaffee

-
Reaction score
No advice on local tilers but over here in Belgium the burden of proof is on the one claiming the damage. Aka, if they have pictures of the floor before the work you did with no cracks etc. Don't they have insurance for this?

Reaction score
Hello and too bad I don't live in Belgium! However, even if it is the case in UK, I think neighbour will be miffed if I insist on the evidence. My only hope is the tiler saying that the damage was inevitable regardless of demolition. Insurance? Don't think so - as they assume the builder's insurance should cover this damage instead.

Thanks for the inputs though. Much appreciated.

Reply to Help - issues with kitchen tile floor due to demolition downstairs in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks