Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Help! Have to prove fire resistance to Building Control in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Speck1

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I own a shop with flats above. Have applied for retrospective building regs and the building control officer is asking me to rip out bathrooms and kitchens which back onto each other and upgrade the 30 min plasterboard which the tiles are set on to 60 mins. I just haven’t got the money to do this and I’d have to remove the tenants whilst I did this. I’ve tried looking at fire retardant clear coatings which she won’t accept because they’ve been tested on plastic and fire glass and not ceramic or porcelain which is far superior anyway. But then I realised by phone round that tiles at Class A so shouldn’t need that anyway. Potentially then there could be 30 mins plus tile plus 60 min coating but she’s still not having it. She’s now said I have to provide test data evidence for porcelain tiles. Where do I go for that? I’ve just the tile association and sent a message but no reply. I’m at my wits end. Please can someone help or advise? Many thanks.

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Get a qualified fire surveyor to look at it and write a report based on existing. Building control are paranoid about fire post grenfel.

I wouldn’t criticise this attitude as it’s better safe than sorry but they often try to portray themselves as all knowing but are often really not very knowledgeable.

As an example I supply anhydrite for screeds. I am often asked for a fire test certificate for anhydrite screed. Anhydrite screed is entirely non combustible and therefore exempt from testing. That doesn’t stop them asking 🤣🤣

Reply to Help! Have to prove fire resistance to Building Control in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock