Discuss Help- grout nightmare in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Grouted 30m bathroom on Friday - very hot! Microban 2- whit on white Topps Nuriko tiles. Sealed tiles first as they textured. Washed off a couple of times. Came back today to find stains around some and loads of residue. No problem- Topps First Wash strong and tile & stone cleaner would sort according to Topps. Didn’t touch it. Topps came out to visit. First said must have been something on float then blamed temperature! Said I would just have to scrub. Been on same tiles for couple of hours with not much joy. Any other suggestions please- Fed up to day the least!!!! I’ve hopefully attached a phot. Thanks,
Nick

0EEFF66B-F79E-487D-8ACD-525A098D7F62.jpeg

4ADEF4FC-0DAA-4666-AC2F-17AB13D4E2F3.jpeg

Last edited:
D

Dumbo

I think you are going to have to use a grout residue remover . This I presume will be a stronger than first wash . Make sure you wet the joints first so as not to scorch the grout and wear proper ppe and good ventilation .
The secret is though don't leave site until tiles are clean . Oh and test on an off cut first just to check you don't wreck the tiles . Also protect areas you are not cleaning like floor, worktop, baths etc

Reaction score
I think you are going to have to use a grout residue remover . This I presume will be a stronger than first wash . Make sure you wet the joints first so as not to scorch the grout and wear proper ppe and good ventilation .
The secret is though don't leave site until tiles are clean . Oh and test on an off cut first just to check you don't wreck the tiles . Also protect areas you are not cleaning like floor, worktop, baths etc
Thanks for this? Any idea of make etc? It’s been on for 72 hours now so not going to make a difference. The customer is going on holiday for two weeks so can’t get back in again til then.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you rang BAL who make the grout to see what their view is?

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Thing is they were the first tiles I did and the rest of the room is ok. Had washed off twice but maybe not enough in the heat. Will try the grout remover. Thanks

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Might be a silly question, but did you dilute the first wash?

Anybody else reading this, you must dilute this product with water. Water activates this product.

I would recommend mixing first wash with water and use a spray bottle to keep the walls damp.

You can get these white pads from B&M £2.99 for 2:
1568651009052.png

I would also recommend Lithofin Cement Away or Cement Residue Remover available from CTD in store but not online.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If I remember rightly @Lithofin BOB
Recommended against using cement away indoors once , can't remember why something about fumes I think

Cheers JCR you are quite right. Apologies for the incorrect advice.

This is taken from the Lithofin datasheet:

Field of Use
Universally usable after tile laying, during fabrication, for cleaning facades and wherever ceramic tiles and stone must be thoroughly cleaned.
Lithofin CEMENT-AWAY is used outdoors and at the installation site during construction.

For indoor use, we recommend Lithofin KF Cement Residue Remover for ceramics and Lithofin MN Builder’s Clean for natural stones.

Reaction score
Might be a silly question, but did you dilute the first wash?

Anybody else reading this, you must dilute this product with water. Water activates this product.

I would recommend mixing first wash with water and use a spray bottle to keep the walls damp.

You can get these white pads from B&M £2.99 for 2: View attachment 109751

I would also recommend Lithofin Cement Away or Cement Residue Remover available from CTD in store but not online.
Yes I did to begin with. The bloke from Topps when he visited used it neat. I think I need the stronger option now. Must have left it too long to clean the first tiles. It was very hot and tiles at that end were in direct sunlight. Will explore the Lithofin option. Thanks for your advice.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
As silly as it sounds, if the sun was on that one wall while you were grouting the others, that small amount of heat difference could have caught you out if it's so sensitive to heat.

Whatever you try on this, test in a super small area and wait for it to dry and whatnot before going ahead with the rest. Might even be worth testing it, then waiting for it to dry, and wetting the area to see if water makes any difference etc because sometimes it can look fine but then when steam hits it, it all comes back to a degree.

So whatever you do, test it first a fair bit. :)

Thanks for replying to this lads. He PM'd me worrying that he wasn't getting a reply. Then all of a sudden you'd clocked it. :) Panic over hopefully. :D

Reaction score
As silly as it sounds, if the sun was on that one wall while you were grouting the others, that small amount of heat difference could have caught you out if it's so sensitive to heat.

Whatever you try on this, test in a super small area and wait for it to dry and whatnot before going ahead with the rest. Might even be worth testing it, then waiting for it to dry, and wetting the area to see if water makes any difference etc because sometimes it can look fine but then when steam hits it, it all comes back to a degree.

So whatever you do, test it first a fair bit. :)

Thanks for replying to this lads. He PM'd me worrying that he wasn't getting a reply. Then all of a sudden you'd clocked it. :) Panic over hopefully. :D
Thank you all for your advice. Really appreciate it. Hope it won’t come down to a re- tile. I’ve contacted Bal and am waiting for a response.
Nick

Reply to Help- grout nightmare in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks