Discuss Help! BAL SBR on Vinyl Tiles! - not setting! in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

A

AMFEE

Hey Guys,

Just tiled a floor, Vinyl tiles on the floor underneath, very old asbestos type. so thought I'd be able to tile over vinyl tiles by prepping floor with BAL SBR. Been back in the bathroom today, tiles have not set! Adhesive is still as wet as it is when it come out the tub!....think this maybe the problem, - im assuming tubbed ready-mix adhesives dont count as cement-based? (Used Unibond Tile-on-floor adhesive) Its not a problem to take it all up again, just need some advice as to whether its going to set properly or not as it is?...im considering ripping it up right now actually as im convinced i've (Removed swearing )up on the adhesive!

D

DHTiling

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
First of all, Do not swear ..

That adhesive could take days if not weeks to set, it needs a porous substrate to lose it's moisture and also will lose moisture through the joints as it is basically a dispersion adhesive.

So IMO lift the tiles and remove that adhesive, but the main concern is those asbestos tiles,which might get disturbed

Sent from my iPhone

A

AMFEE

Thanks Dave, advice much appreciated, will take them up and re lay, being careful not to disturb asbestos tiles!:oops:

C

CBTC

You need to use a bagged, cementitious type adhesive. Available from most places that sell tiles. Go to a dedicated tile shop for best specific advice and product.Best not to remove those old tiles, correct, and best too to use a 2 part primer to begin the process.Good luck

Reply to Help! BAL SBR on Vinyl Tiles! - not setting! in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.