Discuss Help a begineer with advise on cutting holes in subway tiles in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Justintime

Hello all,
I'm part way through a tiling job (floor and wall tiles) and I need to start thinking about how I'm going to cut circular holes through my floor tiles and wall subway tiles for the various pipes and wastes etc.

It present I've not fitted the tiles to the walls/floor that will need the holes.

I'm looking at getting some sort of cutter that can cut around a 45mm hole.
I've seen lots of diamond tipped ones on Ebay etc very cheap, but they don't have an arbour or pilot hole - how on earth can I cut the holes accurately with out onr?

Also, there will be plenty of holes where say the hole for the bath spout (wall hung) will mean cutting two tiles next to each other - how do I go about cutting those out - or will they be with a tile saw of some description?

Many thanks,

Justin.

Oh BTW I've got some hand held electric drills and a Makita SDS drill (mains) I can use

F

Flintstone

Hello Justin, the diamond tipped cutters are the ones you want, you can get them from the likes of eBay, pro tiler tools, ats diamond tools, and other places, the easiest way is to use it to drill a hole in a piece of wood or backerboard first then hold that firmly in place as a guide for drilling your tile. You need to keep them wet with a sponge or spray or whatever you find easiest, luckily metro tiles are very soft. Slow speed cordless drill is perfect, no hammer

G

GoneGuy

You could try this
Erbauer Diamond Tile Drill Guide - http://www.NoLinksToThis/p/erbauer-diamond-tile-drill-guide/84524
And as @Localtiler says don't use the hammer action

J

Justintime

thank you both for the replies.
will try my own guide holes first as I need to go bigger in size than the 35mm max of the erbauer guide.

J

J Sid

or an off cut of tile and clamp it to the tile you want to cut as the template / guide

Reply to Help a begineer with advise on cutting holes in subway tiles in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks