Discuss Help! - 2 Shades of Porcelain tiles been laid by my fitter. in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

SimonS

I wonder if anyone has any experience of the following situation I find myself in (thank you in advance)
My neighbour had his kitchen tiled in large format (60 x 60) porcelain tiles from Topps last year and used one of their approved fitters.
I really liked the way they looked and have been slowly refitting my kitchen myself over the last few months. One of the jobs I thought i'd leave to the professionals was the tiling, I am fussy and think the high gloss porcelain tiles only look good when they are 100% spot on.
I asked my neighbour who did the tiling and he gave me his number. He came and visited and told me a day rate and told me to source the tiles from Topps, Tile Giant wherever and he'd fit them for me.
I visited Topps and bought 15sqm 60 x 60 porcelain tile, the salesperson was great and I personally watched him source 9 boxes of tiles, discarding some because they were a different batch.
I also wanted to install underfloor heating and, being reasonably competant, i installed 2 warmup loose wire systems on to 10mm warmup insulation boards on to a primed, concrete floor. I Left the wiring to the board to an electrician but everything was spot on.
The tiler came last week, even commenting the UFH was better laid than some professional jobs he's seen and he cracked on with the floor and the tiled splashbacks.
Took the tiler 4 days and everything (I thought) was looking great until he's left after grouting. I then noticed I had two shades of floor tiles. I'm not sure how 6 of us had not noticed this during the week, whether our eyes were being drawn to the gaps rather than the tiles and maybe the grout had brought the tiles together but the difference in shade is VERY noticeable, especially when the kitchen is lit (less noticeable in daylight).
I have spoken to the tiler who was supposed to call round last night but didnt and I have also spoken to Topps and their manager is visting my house on Monday. The tiler says it is possible to lift and replace the tiles without damaging my UFH (i didn't lay any self levelling compound on top of the wires, just the tape) and replace should we be able to source the correct tiles.
I have all the boxes I think perhaps bar one that all seem to show the same SKU and tonality (which i presume is the batch no?). The fact I watched the guy at Topps carefully go through the boxes on the pallet led me to assume they were all the same (bear in mind i'm not a tiler!).
I notice a disclaimer on the back of the Topps receipt stating that laying the tiles is an admission that the goods are correct and as ordered and no refunds, refitting etc can be issued once the tiles have been laid.
I have had 2 days to calm down a bit and see if I can live with the way they are and the honest answer is I can't. As I said if they're not 100% spot on they don't look good.
Can anyone offer any advice as to what my options are? should i try for Topps to pay the tiler to lift and replace? What if he damages the UFH, who will pay for that? will it ruin the insulation boards I've laid? Should I just look for some compensation and live with it? Is it the tiler's fault for not noticing?
At the end of the day I've been charged full whack at Topps and got an approved fitter (admittedly not directly through Topps) and the job's not right.
Any replies would be gratefully received..
thanks guys.
Simon

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi simon,were the polished porcelain tiles sealed at all.

if the batch codes etc are all the same it is not the tilers fault,yes you could argue he should have noticed shade differences but imo these tiles should all be the same is the codes cohere with each other

making it topps tiles that are liable

the disclaimers imo also state no refunds after fixing....the tiler should check shade code numbers before fixing yes but as you stated they were all the same

if i was your tiler and you told me that you sourced the boxes of all the same shade code and then i checked the codes myself i personally would nt pick up every single tile and check it for colour matches i would presume they were correct from the codes

just my opinion

the tiler has donr himself an injustice by not showing up but is possibly worried you are going to try and blame him......possibly getting in touch with him again and re assuring him you are only trying to solve this and you are not directly blaming him at thisa moment will get that relationship back on track

good luck and i personally would be pushing topps all the way with this ,i would also expect topps to re pay the fitter to lift and fit anything that is broken on the re install

no doubt they would probably seek compensation from there supplier as well i would imagine

S

SimonS

Hi thanks for the quick reply :) I haven't fallen out with the tiler, far from it and you're right I just want to get it sorted. Hadn't thought of Topps perhaps chasing their supplier for compensation either.

I just have no idea of Topps customer service and the fact I sourced the tiler myself and whether it is actually possibly to lift and refit these tiles without damaging the underfloor heating.

thanks for your help.

Simon

S

SimonS

by the way, I intended to seal the tiles myself but haven't yet, I have bought the sealer (again from Topps) but it seems pointless sealing at his stage until I know what's happening.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi simon,i cant advise on there after service...i dont use them as i do not like how they operate so cant comment on after sales

you can lift the tiles and i beleive there are kits that can fix damaged ufh as well on the market

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
by the way, I intended to seal the tiles myself but haven't yet, I have bought the sealer (again from Topps) but it seems pointless sealing at his stage until I know what's happening.

might have a problem there on your hands...they shoud be sealed before grouting imo
this may have caused the shade variations you are seeing

i assume they have been grouted

S

SimonS

They have been grouted, that's when I noticed the shade differences. I said I would seal them as I didn't want to get billed another day. I left some water on an offcut for an hour or so and this didn't leave a mark so presumed they were reasonably safe anyway. The tiles are to perfectly different tones to be as a result of grouting I think. I'll take a few pictures when I get home and post them up if they help.

Thanks for your help, just want to be a bit better prepared on the options for the visit from Topps on monday.

Simon

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
the problem with some tiles is you wont notice different batches until its grouted.

were any of the boxs taped up, did they look as if they had been opened, some shops try to get rid of there old stock by mixing batches and retaping the boxs, i all ways check boxs that have been retaped.

O

One Day

If the tiler wasn't "officially" put forward by Topps under the approved fitter scheme - i.e. you weren't charged £20 for his card, then you can't pursue Topps IMO.
They will simply refer to the disclaimer on the receipt / tile boxes.

The fact that you have the boxes showing the batch numbers is a good thing as you could possibly leverage them with that.
You say "all but one". Is there a stray batch in there??? If there is, I think you will have to foot the cost of replacing them with the correct batch.

As a Topps Approved Fitter myself, I have sympathy with your tiler. Sometimes you simply cannot tell until they are grouted.
I had it happen to me this year with some marble from Porcelanosa. I checked the batches, shuffled the decks and dry-fixed until the customer was happy.
We had a rogue piece in there!

I would suggest that if your tiler can get the tiles up without damaging the cables, he probably hasn't fixed them very well in the first place.

bobbynz

TF
Arms
Reaction score
the problem with some tiles is you wont notice different batches until its grouted.

were any of the boxs taped up, did they look as if they had been opened, some shops try to get rid of there old stock by mixing batches and retaping the boxs, i all ways check boxs that have been retaped.

agree andy, i have had this experience before with taped up boxes. fortunate i picked it up as i was dry laying and setting out. i have even had printed on some boxes to open and take tiles from different boxes because there may be a difference in shade . sometimes you can pick it up simply because the batch difference is also in the size.were these tiles presealed like some are? would using a sealer bring out the colour enough to reduce the shade difference? might be worth a try.

Reply to Help! - 2 Shades of Porcelain tiles been laid by my fitter. in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks