Discuss Hello all new to the forum - Career change in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
That is awesome news David 😁

Definitely hang around and let us know how you get on 👍

O

Old Mod

Great news David, that’s an excellent break for you
@Flash_363
(363 wouldn’t be your last 3 would it?😁)
What I will say David and to you @Azchase civvy street is a rude awakening, nothing like you’re used to unfortunately.
I’m an ex matelot too, straight out of school at 16 all set for 22 when I had to take a compassionate discharge after only 5 and a half years.
I retrained from electronics in to this by spending just over 2 years shadowing a tiler almost every evening and weekend, until his boss gave me a shot at my own job, and I’m still at it some 36 yrs later. 🙈 so it can be done.
Good luck to the pair of you.

Please keep checking in so we can keep up with your progress, and there will always be someone here to help you out if needs be.

Reaction score
Great news that Flash. I’ve been putting some feelers around my local area just recently but no joy as of yet. I live in wilmslow by Manchester airport so if anyone / or know of anyone who wants or needs a labourer so I can get some experience, the please give me a shout. Im Mega keen to get the ball rolling.
Weekdays/evenings/weekends
Cheers

Reaction score
Great news David, that’s an excellent break for you
@Flash_363
(363 wouldn’t be your last 3 would it?😁)
What I will say David and to you @Azchase civvy street is a rude awakening, nothing like you’re used to unfortunately.
I’m an ex matelot too, straight out of school at 16 all set for 22 when I had to take a compassionate discharge after only 5 and a half years.
I retrained from electronics in to this by spending just over 2 years shadowing a tiler almost every evening and weekend, until his boss gave me a shot at my own job, and I’m still at it some 36 yrs later. 🙈 so it can be done.
Good luck to the pair of you.

Please keep checking in so we can keep up with your progress, and there will always be someone here to help you out if needs be.

haha no it's not my last 3 :grin:.
I know civvie street will be a challenge but I am sure I can grow to it. I am not just doing this to get away, there is more to it than jumping from a sinking ship. I have spent far to much time away and have been missing my kids grow up.

I am not going into this expecting everything to be handed on a plate, I know i'll need to graft and do the jobs no one likes but if it gets me the break I need then I am willing to do it. I will hopefully have 18 months with this tiler to learn the trade in real life situations which i ma hoping will set me up for the future. But who knows, everything could change tomorrow!!

regards,

David

Last edited:

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Reaction score
Great news - wish all you the best!

Reaction score
Hi David! I'm new to the forum myself also and in a similar situation to yourself. Just made the jump to giving tile contracting a go full time.
It can be super overwhelming at times that's for sure.
I never realized that trying to run a small business would involve me taking on so many different skills. First and foremost there's obviously been perfecting my tile work, but then there's also sales, and web design and marketing and seo and book keeping and ahhhhhhhhh
hahah the list just doesn't seem to end.

It seems you beat me to it in figuring out that building a super strong network of people in the industry is super helpful. Hence why I've been searching for and joining Tiling communities around the web. Invaluable to have a group of people with similar experiences to bounce ideas off of and get feedback.
I look forwards to getting to know everyone.

(also and feedback is greatly appreciated) Calgary Tile Setting

D

Dumbo

Hi David! I'm new to the forum myself also and in a similar situation to yourself. Just made the jump to giving tile contracting a go full time.
It can be super overwhelming at times that's for sure.
I never realized that trying to run a small business would involve me taking on so many different skills. First and foremost there's obviously been perfecting my tile work, but then there's also sales, and web design and marketing and seo and book keeping and ahhhhhhhhh
hahah the list just doesn't seem to end.

It seems you beat me to it in figuring out that building a super strong network of people in the industry is super helpful. Hence why I've been searching for and joining Tiling communities around the web. Invaluable to have a group of people with similar experiences to bounce ideas off of and get feedback.
I look forwards to getting to know everyone.

(also and feedback is greatly appreciated) Calgary Tile Setting
Go flames

Reply to Hello all new to the forum - Career change in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks