Discuss Hello all! My first post: DIY 20sqm floor, wall and shower travertine in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jdcroy

Hello.

My first post.

After having good search, these tiling forums are the best I have come across. There seem to be plenty of guys on here who really take a pride in their work.

I am refurbishing a bathroom in my own house. We really like the idea of using travertine for both the floor and walls (including shower cubicle walls). I want to do some quality work.

I have never worked with stone and would like to give it a go if it is suitable for the job. I will be glad of any good advice.

There is no time limit on this job and I want to use it as a learning exercise. I want to take time to pick the right tools and materials and not rush. This way the quality of the end result will only be limited by my own skills....................that might be when I find myself calling someone in to help:smilewinkgrin:

I am happy to record events and post pictures to the forums if people are interested.

Decision 1: Whether to go with travertine or something else. I know travertine is a porous stone which needs protecting and, many say, it is not good for showers. From my reading so far, I get the impression that the end result is more about how well the tiles are prepared, sealed, fixed and maintained than it is to do with how expensive or fragile the raw tiles are. IS THIS CORRECT OR AM I NUTS FOR WANTING TO PUT TRAVERTINE IN A SHOWER?

If you have taken the time to read all of this, thanks!

Details...if you're interested:

Room

The room is on the ground floor with a level concrete floor. The walls are solid rendered brick (it is an old victorian house). I am replacing the bathroom suite and redecorating every part of the room. This means that, at this stage, I can almost rebuild the room around the tile plan if I need to.

The room has a 3m x 3m floor and a shower cubicle that will be tiled on 3 sides (rendered brick walls). The shower tray is white stone resin raised on a solid adjustable base. One of the 3m walls will have about 1 metre of tiles from the floor to the height of the wash basin. The rest of the walls will not be tiled but may have tiles as the skirtings if it is going to look right.

The toilet and basin are both wall hung on a wall which will not be tiled (paint or wallpaper).

The wall over the wash basin will be covered, mainly, with a large mirror (either hung in a frame or a permanent, custom sized, piece of mirrored glass).

There are pipes running around 2 sides of the room, at floor level, which will be concealed with water resistant plasterboard on a metal track and stud frame. The framing can be whatever dimension I choose. This means that I have a little flexibility in the exact dimensions of the final floor area to be tiled.

The room will be very well ventilated with a powerful ducted extractor vent over the shower cubicle to keep condensation on the tiled walls to a bare minimum.

Tools and materials....so far
I have a Rubi DW 200N wet tile cutter and a smaller Rubi ND 200 to use.
I have bought a BAL WP1 waterproofing kit to tank the shower area with.
Shower tray and riser, glass shower door, concealed toilet frame and cistern, toilet flush plate, light fittings, wallpaper all purchased.

not got yet: tiles, sealing and fixing materials, framing and plasterboard, wash basin, taps, toilet pan, paint.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Morning JDCroy.
Could you post a pic of the room currently.
How is the floor constructed? Just wondering also if we can perhaps hide some of the pipe work you mention.
You say the shower cubicle will be tiled 3 sides. Presuming two of which represent a corner of the room. Is the third side built?

J

jdcroy

Re: Hello all! My first post: DIY 20sqm floor, wall and shower travert

I will post some pictures of the room when I get home.

The intention is to hide the pipework behind framed plasterboard. The toilet is one with a concealed cistern. We have not decided yet how high up the wall the plasterboard frame will be. It could be a whole 'false' wall or could just come high enough up to 'box in' the cistern and pipes etc.....we are open to suggestions once you have seen the photos.

You are correct about 2 sides of the shower being corner walls (supporting ones). The third wall is already there and is also part of another 'kind of' supporting wall (supporting the front steps of the house). I will try to explain with photos and a diagram when I get a chance.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. What is your opinion of us planning to put travertine in the shower?

I

Ian

Welcome along to TF. If you prep correctly and fit and treat the stone correctly, there will be no issues with fitting travertine in your shower.

J

jdcroy

Thanks Bri.

That's just what I wanted to hear.

The next question is: what travertine to buy?

We were thinking of honed and filled tiles rather than tumbled. Not sure about the resin filled ones I have heard mentioned. We are leaning towards the ones with normal whiteish filler at this point.

After some research, I can see how overly cheap tiles with lots of filler and lots of holes could be a pain to work with. I am not going to buy the tiles without picking them out myself, in person. Don't mind paying a fair price for good materials but don't want to go mad.

We live near Croydon and travel down to Portsmouth fairly regularly.

Someone has suggested I look in on natural stone and timber (formerly travertine warehouse) in Portsmouth. If anyone has any experience of these guys (good or bad), it would be good to hear.

If anyone can recommend any other suppliers near me, that would be good too.

I will get some photos posted (as requested by AliGage) when I am back at the house.

Thanks for your responses so far.

I

Ian

The important thing with travertine is to get a good quality stone with as little filler as possible, too much filler ruins the overall finish. Best thing to do with honed and filled travertine, is to turn a tile over and look at the back, there should be very few holes. Poor quality stone will look like a Caburys crunchie on the back.

Reply to Hello all! My first post: DIY 20sqm floor, wall and shower travertine in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks