Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Hardibacker vs STS / Wedi tile backer board in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

jleag

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I have a fairly small bathroom 2m x 2.2m which will be tiled wall to floor all round. The straight bath will be fitted onto the 2m wall so I will need a tile backing board.

I will be going for porcelain tiles - not sure on the weight but size wise will be 600 x 300.

The bathroom is back to the bare brick on two sides and will be a stud wall on the other two sides.

So should I go with a wedi/sts type backer board which is totally waterproof or a cememnt based hardie backer board?

Which is a more watertight solution?

OP
J

jleag

-
Reaction score
If I go with a wedi style insulated backer board - does that still need tanking?

How do you seal the edges? Can you use a PU https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/?

jdnest

-
Reaction score
Hi jleag

I'd go with Jacko/Wedi boards, properly secured to the wall.

No need to seal the edges as they are waterproof. Instead, tank the entire area with a tanking solution such as the Ardex WPC, a great product which you have to mix 2 parts and can tile after 90 minutes. Or Mapei Waterproofing kit if you want an easier solution as it's just paint on and go, but takes around 16 hours to cure.

Hope that helps.
J

Reaction score
If you’re going to tank it, may as well save your money and use plasterboard underneath the tanking.
Pointless fully tanking a waterproof board...

Reply to Hardibacker vs STS / Wedi tile backer board in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock