Discuss HardiBacker & Floor Level? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

RandyC

So I've got a kitchen dining room which I want to tile all the way through. The kitchen is concrete base and the dining room is floor boards.

I plan on putting 6mm HardiBacker Board on the floorboards, but that will raise up the dining room by 6mm above the kitchen base. The concrete is sound but do I need to use SLC on the kitchen to raise it to the same level, or I've seen people talk about adhesive beds can be different thicknesses depending on the trowel so could that be an option as it's 'only' 6mm? The kitchen area is around 18sqm.

Also is this flexible adhesive suitable? There seems to be no end available and I've read that SPF is ideal for HardiBacker tiling, which this seems to be:

Thanks!

Reaction score
Agree with above, once you tile the HB board you will increase the height by at least 3mm more to the underside of the tile, so you would be at least 9mm low on the concrete. The last BSI note I saw said adhesive should not be more than 3mm in depth. ( Calm down boys, don't shoot the messenger) Adhesive bags may state that they can be used up to 20mm, Ignore this, in very localised areas I.E replace 1 small tile kinda stuff. a good SLC is the way to go mate. Also fix the board very well, my preference is to screw the floor boards down, de-nail of course, and glue the HB down and screw to the manufacturers instructions. ( Just my preference here, if it goes wrong its mighty expensive and all the tech advisers will find a way to blame you for not wearing the right deodorant when you tiled it.)

H

hmtiling

Agree with above, once you tile the HB board you will increase the height by at least 3mm more to the underside of the tile, so you would be at least 9mm low on the concrete. The last BSI note I saw said adhesive should not be more than 3mm in depth. ( Calm down boys, don't shoot the messenger) Adhesive bags may state that they can be used up to 20mm, Ignore this, in very localised areas I.E replace 1 small tile kinda stuff. a good SLC is the way to go mate. Also fix the board very well, my preference is to screw the floor boards down, de-nail of course, and glue the HB down and screw to the manufacturers instructions. ( Just my preference here, if it goes wrong its mighty expensive and all the tech advisers will find a way to blame you for not wearing the right deodorant when you tiled it.)
Sorry for picking you up here but the 9mm shout is a little misleading as once the other side is tiled it will be a 6/7mm descrepancy. Therefore 6/7 slc needdd not 9.
Fix the hardie as per manufacturer spec, slc the concrete and use a soft joint or expansion joint where the 2 meet. If you can work the expansion on a tile joint do so.
Also, go to a tile shop for a decent s1 for the timber side. Most c2's will be adequate for the concrete side

H

hmtiling

I would use what the surface/tile called for. I don't get where you are going with this THB
A 3mm solid bed under hardie would need a 12mm notch imo. Hardie recommended a 6mm notch which I'd get down to 1mm when properly bedded.

Reaction score
I was referring to the adhesive under the tile being 3mm, so 6mm HB 3mm adhesive to me give 9mm required to underside of tile on the concrete surface, could be wrong.
You and me are either going to have to sleep together of just call it a day.

To the original poster, you will need to find a solution to the transition joint, it will crack unless thought about carefully. Could be wrong again of course.

H

hmtiling

I was referring to the adhesive under the tile being 3mm, so 6mm HB 3mm adhesive to me give 9mm required to underside of tile on the concrete surface, could be wrong.
You and me are either going to have to sleep together of just call it a day.

To the original poster, you will need to find a solution to the transition joint, it will crack unless thought about carefully. Could be wrong again of course.
9mm difference if no adhesive under the tile on the concrete side
Did you read my post about a soft/expansion joint?

Reaction score
So a total of about 9mm between the concrete and the tile,

Agree with above, once you tile the HB board you will increase the height by at least 3mm more to the underside of the tile, so you would be at least 9mm low on the concrete

H

hmtiling

So a total of about 9mm between the concrete and the tile,

Agree with above, once you tile the HB board you will increase the height by at least 3mm more to the underside of the tile, so you would be at least 9mm low on the concrete
I give up

H

hmtiling

Could someone with more patience explain that the height discrepancy would not include the adhesive bed as you'll have that on both sides!

Reaction score

This of course assumes that the floor boards and the concrete are level to start with.
Just for giggles

Reply to HardiBacker & Floor Level? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks