Discuss Handmade English Terracotta in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

H

hmtiling

Hi all. I've got a job with these fore-mentioned terracotta floor tiles and wondering which inpregnating/sealing method you finds easiest/least hassle. It's been 17 years since i worked with the stuff!
I'm considering the lithofin modern method.
All input appreciated. Many thanks.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi mate, Marc (3_fall) has just done one.
Gone are the days of double boiled linseed oil and thinners, Marc used Dry-treat, but it seems Lithofin stain stop
fills the tile up quicker Marc or Bob might be along soon to explain.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi all. I've got a job with these fore-mentioned terracotta floor tiles and wondering which inpregnating/sealing method you finds easiest/least hassle. It's been 17 years since i worked with the stuff!
I'm considering the lithofin modern method.
All input appreciated. Many thanks.

Would not use the stain stop on terracotta, discussion with Marc , was for a external terrace.

Lithofin modern method is for internal, and a nice light finish ,rather than a darker oil and wax. The ease of water based products and mostly the ease in which the client will maintain and top up the floor after you have installed. Used tons of this stuff restoration wise as clients wanted an easy to look after floor.

Generally, lay the tiles , leave to dry until all moisture released( 7-10 days for me, or until fully dry, yes I'm obsessed with drying times)
Saturate 1-2 coats of the impregnator before leaving overnight to cure.
Point in the terracotta , ideal not slurry ,unless a very closed pore- check grout release on two unlaid tiles you can impregnate- for testing
Once this grouting/ pointing is fully dry , depending on depth and width
Re impregnate one coat of the terracotta impreg.
After this has dried, sponge on 2-4 neat coats (maybe more if a really ruff hand made) of the terracotta sealant with a jumbo car sponge, dries in 40 min -1 hour so you will get these on in one day.
No buffing , self sheening
Clients maintain with easy care , and top up when required.
They can use 1/4 bucket of clean water, add a mug of the sealant, mop through leaving a slight wet look, leave to dry - job done , nice and easy.

H

hmtiling

Would not use the stain stop on terracotta, discussion with Marc , was for a external terrace.

Lithofin modern method is for internal, and a nice light finish ,rather than a darker oil and wax. The ease of water based products and mostly the ease in which the client will maintain and top up the floor after you have installed. Used tons of this stuff restoration wise as clients wanted an easy to look after floor.

Generally, lay the tiles , leave to dry until all moisture released( 7-10 days for me, or until fully dry, yes I'm obsessed with drying times)
Saturate 1-2 coats of the impregnator before leaving overnight to cure.
Point in the terracotta , ideal not slurry ,unless a very closed pore- check grout release on two unlaid tiles you can impregnate- for testing
Once this grouting/ pointing is fully dry , depending on depth and width
Re impregnate one coat of the terracotta impreg.
After this has dried, sponge on 2-4 neat coats (maybe more if a really ruff hand made) of the terracotta sealant with a jumbo car sponge, dries in 40 min -1 hour so you will get these on in one day.
No buffing , self sheening
Clients maintain with easy care , and top up when required.
They can use 1/4 bucket of clean water, add a mug of the sealant, mop through leaving a slight wet look, leave to dry - job done , nice and easy.
Thanks for that Bob. Much appreciated!

H

hmtiling

Hi mate, Marc (3_fall) has just done one.
Gone are the days of double boiled linseed oil and thinners, Marc used Dry-treat, but it seems Lithofin stain stop
fills the tile up quicker Marc or Bob might be along soon to explain.
Thank you Phil

H

hmtiling

All finished today. The impregnator used as a grout aid made it a piece of cake and the sealant is also very user friendly. Many thanks. View attachment 79111 View attachment 79112
P1020946.JPG

H

hmtiling

So, it turns out the customer decided to wash the inside of the windows 2 hours after i left before the sealant has dried. I haven't seen it yet, but she says it doesn't look good.
Any ideas what can be done to rectify this @Lithofin BOB ?
I'll get a photo emailed over and post asap.
Thanks in advance

Reply to Handmade English Terracotta in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks