Discuss Hairline cracks in terracotta tiles that is seeping some sort of dark brown oil in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

kruno

-
Reaction score
Guy,

I am not involved in this business at all, so I would appreciate any help or advice pls. I have noticed very recently that hairline cracks in my kitchen floor have started to seep a dark brown, sticky oil. There has been no spillages, so it is a complete mystery. The tile isn't lifting - I'm wondering if the chipboard has somehow started to rot - having googled it I've found that chipboard is made with linseed oil - obviously I need to stop this as we are treading oil into other rooms - many thanks in anticipation for your help in this matter -
Cheers

John

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I'd be more worried about the cracks and that it was tiled on to chipboard.

I can't help with the oil situation though, do you have any images?

kruno

-
Reaction score
Hi Tony, I say chipboard, but I'm guessing tbh - the floor was laid 12 - 15 years ago and we have never had a problem - there is no movement in our area and the tiles are lifting - the cracks I think are probably wear and tear - I've attached pictures showing the oil
Cheers for your help - much appreciated.

3C38CA45-B671-4009-8F7A-921F473E758B.jpeg

8D3DD4BB-D548-4E7D-8979-44257C440F84.jpeg

B6910C4C-A76B-4375-B8F7-9E4755917A68.jpeg

[automerge]1569141796[/automerge]
Tiles aren't lifting

D

Dumbo

Your floor is failing you jave lots of cracked grout. Do you have an oil fired boiler . Ie do you have a leaky pipe .
If not I'm suspecting a water leak as this moisture oil or oily water has to come from somewhere

kruno

-
Reaction score
No oil fired boiler - there is no obvious water leak, it's only coming trough the cracks in the tiles - it's not coming through cracks in the grout - I'm assuming if there is a water leak it would come through all the cracks - not just the tile -

D

Dumbo

You're tiles look like terracotta coloured ceramics .
There is no moisture in your tiles .
There shouldn't be any moisture in your subfloor . You have something going on .
Go into a builders merchant and feel some chipboard and feel some ply , it is dry , moisture is being generated . Unless it's your washing water coming back up through .

kruno

-
Reaction score
I've had another good look at the grout - looks like that is wet as well - must have a leak - I suppose the only way to resolve it is to take the floor up - really appreciate your help guys - thank you

D

Dumbo

Do come back to us and let us know what you find
[automerge]1569145757[/automerge]
Lol - do you think my insurance will cover it
I believe if it's a water leak or something I would think so , but if it has just failed and that is washing water I doubt it .

kruno

-
Reaction score
Ok cheers mate - will come back and let you know what it is - I'm sure my insurance company will wriggle like an eel - I'm just hoping the leak is in the kitchen and not under another floor downstairs - if it is I've told the missus crimbo is cancelled

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Nice new floor might be just what she wanted for Christmas :D

Fingers crossed it's no major issues under there 🤞

kruno

-
Reaction score
She's getting a new ironing board this Christmas - will let you know what those snakes at the insurance company say - btw where are you based

Reply to Hairline cracks in terracotta tiles that is seeping some sort of dark brown oil in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks