Discuss Grouting Terracotta in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

paul bovey

Hi there. I need a memory jog. Terracotta with 10 to 20mm joint. Ball wide joint or sand cement ratio.

O

One Day

silver sand and cement at 4:1 dosed with bal sbr. watch the mixes though for shade variation.

O

Old Mod

Yeah silver sand and cement for me too!
happy-thumb-up-045.gif

Reaction score
sand and cement grout will not last or wear as good as tile grout in my opinion unless you make the mix stronger. in my youth if I remember we used 9/13 for ceramics but that was many yrs ago and ones memory gets a bit cloudy

P

paul bovey

sand and cement grout will not last or wear as good as tile grout in my opinion unless you make the mix stronger. in my youth if I remember we used 9/13 for ceramics but that was many yrs ago and ones memory gets a bit cloudy

P

paul bovey

This is the ratios I very vaguely remember for grouting quarry tiles. After grouting we would chuck a dry mix of sand cement over . Like feeding the chickens. Then we would brush it in the wet joint to flush it up before we washing off. Overall I'm struggling to remember the ratios. I know it sounds mad but I swear it was 1.5 .1 or 2.1

W

White Room

You can do a strong mix with quarries due to their strength, terracotta would need a weaker mix due to the material...try using a 3-1 with sandstone, any movement will tear the sandstone apart IMO

P

paul bovey

You can do a strong mix with quarries due to their strength, terracotta would need a weaker mix due to the material...try using a 3-1 with sandstone, any movement will tear the sandstone apart IMO
Sorry . Don't quite get that. You put sand stone in the mix?

Reply to Grouting Terracotta in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks