Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Grouting Sandstone in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, I'm looking for ideas or opinions. Have recently started a 400sq. mtr job of sandstone 22mm thick with a rough quarry finish (more like slabs). Sealing, cutting and fixing no problem. The problem is with the varying gaps and the depth grouting is taking an age and using up a lot of material. So far we've been using grouting bags and cleaning off with a washboy (tiles previously sealed).

Does anyone have any ideas to save time or material?

Possibly it's just a case of accepting more grout is reqd than expected and giving the job to whoever gives me lip that morning.

Regards,

Sandy

OP
D

DHTiling

Now they are laid , you will just have to grout..:thumbsup:

Next time it would be wise to let some https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ fill up half the joint depth.. less filling to do then..

OP
S

SandyFloor

Actually only about 10% is fixed. You have given me an idea. That is to slide the tile into position from a few inches out so as to build up the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ in the joint hence less grout. Does that sound feasible?

OP
D

DHTiling

Use a deeper bed then tap the tile down into it.. this then causes the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to come up into the joints... work clean and then bingo.. less grouting.:thumbsup:

Only a good method for thick stone though..

OP
S

SandyFloor

That sounds good especially as they are going onto extremely level concrete. Will change tack slightly in the next room over the next couple of days and let you know how we get on....thank for your input....much appreciated,

Regards,

Sandy
www.ascotflooringuk.com

OP
D

DHTiling

No probs.. please do let us know how you get on.. remember to leave plenty room for the grout..

Reaction score
Please make sure the sandstone is well and truly sealed before grouting - I would always give it at least 2 coats before I even fixed it :thumbsup:

Nice website by the way....

OP
S

SandyFloor

The sandstone has already had two coats Lithofin Stain Stop ( the first coat disappeared rather quickly ). I think it will need at least another two post grouting.

OP
D

DHTiling

Do a water droplet test... this will determine the surface porosity.

Stainstop is great for sandstone..:thumbsup:

Reaction score
The sandstone has already had two coats Lithofin Stain Stop ( the first coat disappeared rather quickly ). I think it will need at least another two post grouting.

You'll go through bucket loads Sandy mate, but it's worth it:thumbsup:

I can remember doing a cafe floor in a leisure centre with 600x400x30mm sawn cut sandstone and I think we ended up putting 6 or 7 coats on:yikes:

OP
P

Perry

I always use sand and cement on most sandstone a lot cheaper and better finish also I find it much easier :pete

OP
D

Daz

Is this the Bradstone sandstone? You'll deffo need at least 2 coats of sealer prior to grouting and don't let the grout hang around too long on the tile surface. Work small areas at a time and it'll become a faster job.

Good luck.

OP
S

SandyFloor

It is the Bradstone sandstone. I'm actually applying two coats sealer prior to fixing and I think it'll take at least another two.

Todays update: By simply putting a slither some https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ close to the joint and closing the tile up most of the joint has filled up. If needed a quick wipe with the sponge to keep things clean and the grouting should be a lot easier. Thanks to Dave for a bit of inspiration. It seems so obvious now.

I took delivery of a new DeWalt24000 yesterday after giving up on the Vitrex bridge saw. Wow!!! what a difference. Cuts the big slabs no probs. I could go on for ages on how impressed I am with it ....maybe on another post.

Thanks to all for advice.

OP
D

DHTiling

Make sure you rake the joints out some , so grout can get a good hold.:thumbsup:

Another Dewalt owner..:thumbsup::thumbsup::welcome:

Reply to Grouting Sandstone in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris14498
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock