Discuss Grouting metro tiles in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

tapper

TF
Reaction score
Morning All,

Just finished a average size bathroom with metro tiles and light grey grout, I am happy with the job but I am concerned how long it took to grout almost 2 days, this seems far to much time, can I speed things up? Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

D

Dumbo

They're rubbish to grout . Basically more practice , get it off the tile sooner as being ceramic the grout firms up quickly, some I know use two buckets for cleaning up one to get the worst off the another for a better clean , I've never found the need

tapper

TF
Reaction score
They're rubbish to grout . Basically more practice , get it off the tile sooner as being ceramic the grout firms up quickly, some I know use two buckets for cleaning up one to get the worst off the another for a better clean , I've never found the need

Cheers for reply.

I make the grout a bit thicker and basically cover a metre, then sponge the lines, 10 mins after that go back and clean the rest, sort of cleans as I go, but I think this is why it takes so long, I've been told it's a 3 hour ish job, so to take nearly 2 days is strange.

D

Dumbo

Don't ever worry about how long something takes. . It is what it is . Get it right then figure what works for you to make it quicker while still getting right . Also some of these guys have a rubbish finish , there is always someone faster , but I do not see the need to make it thicker than you would normally use as the tiles draw the moisture.

tapper

TF
Reaction score
Don't ever worry about how long something takes. . It is what it is . Get it right then figure what works for you to make it quicker while still getting right . Also some of these guys have a rubbish finish , there is always someone faster , but I do not see the need to make it thicker than you would normally use as the tiles draw the moisture.

Maybe I need to get away from that, my thinking was if it's a bit thicker going in the lines as I sponge straight away the dampness of the sponge will correct it to a good consistency. I worry more for the customer as it looks like I'm hanging the job out.

Cheers

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score

Couldn’t agree more. It takes you as long as it takes you. A better finish is worth the time. You will get quicker. But time invested beats a quick crap job. Good tiling can be ruined by bad grouting. Tiling is a finishing trade and grouting is (along with sealant) the finishing of the finishing.

I should add I do. Lot of metros and I do quite like them. But grouting is obviously harder than larger tiles.

tapper

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments, I do totally understand and agree with getting it correct and not rushing, I wouldn't rush it through anyway it's more to do with pricing/timing, I am losing days because of my pace. Can either of you guys tell me how long you would take to grout white metros with grey grout on say a 2 squared flat wall, just so I know where I should be aiming.

Cheers

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I will time myself later this week, only thing is I have light grey metros with white grout. :tearsofjoy:

T

Time's Ran Out

Allow at the most 4 hours for an average size bathroom.
If you’ve spent 6 months as an apprentice grouting skilled tilers work then that’s the benchmark to aim for.
Are you running a rake tool through the joint before washing off?

tapper

TF
Reaction score
Allow at the most 4 hours for an average size bathroom.
If you’ve spent 6 months as an apprentice grouting skilled tilers work then that’s the benchmark to aim for.
Are you running a rake tool through the joint before washing off?

Hi John,

It takes me 12ish hours, I dont use a rake tool John, I was taught to use grout float then sponge float. I have got rid of the sponge float recently as I feel I get a better finish with a normal hard sponge and it seems to really push the grout in when cleaning off.

Cheers for the reply

T

Time's Ran Out

@tapper - no no no!
Get yourself an American squeegee
90FC5C7F-CA21-4F6B-B82A-1173F76A123A.png
to put the grout on with, taking as much off the face of the tiles as possible. Use a rounded end stick, similar to a drumstick
2FA70D0E-1B50-4D7D-9E93-92D638165016.png

when the grout has ‘taken up’ take out the semi firm grout by pushing the drumstick through the joint up and across.
Then using a decent sponge gently wash over the face of the tile rinsing often.
A quick clean wash at the end of each wall when surface is dry and smooth the wet/ now dry joint with your finger.

45 years and the method never changes.

Jobs a good one!

Reply to Grouting metro tiles in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks