Discuss Grouting Floors + Dot & Dab in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new on here (as you might guess) I've got a couple of questions. One about a job I've just completed at my brother's and another about our bathroom that I'm about to take on.

First off... I've recently re-tiled my brothers floor and to start with was trying to grout the joint between the edge tile and the skirting, but it was black grout and making a horrible mess of the skirting.... so I decided to leave it un-grouted and just to silicone seal it instead. My brother disagreed though and said it needs grouting, then that made me think, is it right to grout the edges, as if the wooden skirting swells there won't be any give at the edges so it will push onto the tiles.

Second question... I'm about to re-tile our own bathroom at home. It's currently tiled and the bath takes up the full space wall to wall lengthways. I'm mindful that if I take the existing tiles off then the plaster behind might come with it. The general advice appears to be to dot and dab new plasterboard onto the wall if old plaster has come away, but I'm worried about depths, would dot and dab plasterboard have a greater depth than the existing plaster? As if it does, it's going to overhang the bath...

Thanks for your time and help, Much Appreciated, Tom

J

J Sid

Hi and welcome Tom

First, definitely silicon between floor tile and skirt. Either use a colour match silicon to match grout or, as I prefer is to use white if skirtings are painted white.
Secondly, we need to know what the wall behind plaster board is before we can answer

Reaction score
Cheers Julian, much appreciated. I'm pretty sure it's some sort of cinder block, but not an expert. I've drilled into it from the other side and the dust is black, it's easier to drill into than the brick walls.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
only way you could dot and dab plasterboard on the wall would be to take the bath out.
or you could take the tiles off and patch the wall with a one coat plaster

Reaction score
Thanks Andy, I've no idea what I'll find when I take the tiles off, but hoping it will need patching at worst. I just want to have an idea what I'll do if it's really shoddy behind the tiles. I doubt I'd get the current bath back in if I remove it then dot and dab, it already looks like it's too big for the space. It currently measures 1670 from tile to tile, so I'm guessing it's a 1700 bath cut into the wall slightly.

Reply to Grouting Floors + Dot & Dab in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks