Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Grout/silicon type and colour? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Kcoh

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all,

First of all this is my first time tile and I’m diyer.

After a month I’m almost there with my tile. See attached photo. I have 2 different tiles as it can be seen, the marbles are on all 3 walls and it’s going on the floor too, it suppose to have 2mm joints but because the edges are bevelled, the joints appear much larger with 2mm spacers (very dissatisfied) and on one wall I have rectified split face tiles with 1mm joints. I have used mapei s1 grey https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ for all the tile. I was recommended sliver grey grout by the tile seller so I bought mapei as attached. But looking on this forum, I see epoxy grout mentioned a lot being stain resistant and waterproof, sounds very appealing to me. Do you guys recommend going for the epoxy? I have already waterproofed the tile backer boards but I wouldn’t mind a secondary barrier and I’m very worried of grout staining by the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. If yes, what do you recommend and what colour preferably for my tiles? Also for sealant, what do you recommend and again what colour? I’d prefer obviously if I can get away with one grout colour and sealant colour for all, but I welcome any input :) Moreover, do you recommend to have the same joint size on the floor for the marbles due to above? I.e. 2mm? I will have underfloor heating and the floor size is 1.6m by 0.95m. I appreciate your advice.

Attachments

• 82F4598C-3AB1-456E-AB2C-D675B9EAEF59.jpeg
    82F4598C-3AB1-456E-AB2C-D675B9EAEF59.jpeg
    872.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 181F66AA-5ABA-4B85-A10D-9A3F2DDF76D8.jpeg
    181F66AA-5ABA-4B85-A10D-9A3F2DDF76D8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 9C6A51B2-77F3-47C2-B5EE-B34103F23B5B.png
    9C6A51B2-77F3-47C2-B5EE-B34103F23B5B.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
D

Dumbo

Grout colour mapei 103 moon white or mapei 111 silver grey. Same colour silicone as grout . Can't tell about epoxy as I don't have enough experience with it . Personally I don't like anything less than 3 mm on floors but that's not going to look nice with bevelled edge tiles and smaller joints on the wall .

OP
K

Kcoh

TF
Reaction score
I like moon white 103, matches the split face tiles. Do you think the mapei grout will be at risk of staining from the grey https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ specially in the shower area? I think I will go with 2mm for the floor and risk it, I’ll keep some spare tiles as back up in case any cracks. Thanks

D

Dumbo

If your joints are clean you shouldn't have a problem with staining . Your joints should be clean at least to 6mm deep

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If it's your first time grouting as it was tile be very wary that mapei grout can dry rather quick, more so on those feature tiles where the grout will be caught in the textured ripples and can become a bit of a job getting it out if its left too long. work in small areas at a time, grouting can make or break the job!

OP
K

Kcoh

TF
Reaction score
I appreciate your advice guys, this is very helpful. I didn’t have very clean joints on some of the intial tiles (none of the split face tiles) I laid, until I figured out on how to keep them clean later on. So I have cleaned the dirty joints (broke few tiny corners in the process) but I think I still have some few thin https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ patches on the tile edges. Hopefully these don’t stain the grout.

OP
K

Kcoh

TF
Reaction score
I forgot ask this question earlier, is it recommended to use for example, silver grey sealant around the bath, sink and toilet pan? Or generally has to be white? Thanks

Last edited:

Reply to Grout/silicon type and colour? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock