Discuss Grout Residue Removal on Travertine Mosaics in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

wayfoward

Hello,
I'm a tiler from Reading. most of my work is kitchen related. One other person who sometimes feeds me work is a building contractor. Before he met me he had some cowboy tile his wifes 'big dream' ensuite (he didn't know he was a cowboy at the time of course). That was a few years ago. The ensuite project has been in limbo & he's asked me to help out making the best of a bad job.

The grout was never wiped down properly on the travertine mosacs (walls) & 600 X 300 tiles on the floor. I've tried a Fila grout residue removal liquid but it hardly shifts any residue, probably due to the time that has passed. Any ideas on how to remove the residue from the mosaics? On the floor the Fila stuff softened it just enough to remove with a scraper, not the best idea I know. Here are some pictures of the problem on my tiling site (files to big to upload):

[DLMURL="http://www.wall-and-floor-tiler.com/DSCN0161.JPG"]Pic 1 Mosasics[/DLMURL] [DLMURL="http://www.wall-and-floor-tiler.com/DSCN0163.JPG"]Pic 2 Floor[/DLMURL]

I must remember to change my cameras settings... Any way, a possible clean up for the mosaics is the most important, all ideas welcome! The contractor was wondering if there is any kind of buffing / honing attachment for a power tool that would do the job. Any ideas on this too?

Thanks in advance for any help. If it wasn't for the fact that I get some work out of the contractor I would have just turned down the job....

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Ian

LTP grimex has always worked for me in this situation, start by mixing it 1:5 with water and increase the strength if necessary, wash over the tiles, leave for 5-10 mins then agitate with a stiff brush. Should do the job. Welcome to TF

S

swanman

You could use LTP grimex that might do the trick

But it will strip everything including the sealer if it ever had any in the first place

Good Luck mate

W

wayfoward

Thanks for the replys. We don't know if the travertine was ever sealed in the first place, floor tiles are still showing a 'white hue' but not yet sure if thats due to dirty water I'm using for initial wipedown. We are talking about 20 meters of wall as a 'guesstimate'. Anyone know who stocks LTP grimex in the Reading area?

I

Ian

Tile Giant, have you got one of those locally? Alternatively get it online, there is a link to LTP to the left of the page.

W

wayfoward

Tilflair in Reading for LTP grimex it is, thanks Bri. Has anyone ever heard of any kind of buffing / honing tool? If the travertine was never sealed in the first place I'm thinking it may need to be stripped to a new surface before sealing if the LTP grimex doesn't do the job.

W

wayfoward

Heavy areas of grout are too tough for the LTP grimex. Going to try a non metalic 'prep tool' on my angle grinder tomorrow. I think it will give a polished look to the tiles compared to the usual matt finish though.

D

DHTiling

Hi.

Grimex is not for grout haze remover ,
it could also be polymer residue.

If it has been on a while and they are tumbled or honed, then use some wet and dry on them.

100 grit , then 200 grit and finish with 400 grit.

Just an option but you can get polymer removers if you are not confident in doing the above.

W

wayfoward

Whats a good polymer remover and is it different to the acid based products? 20m is a lot of travertine mosaics to clean up with wet & dry paper.

Reply to Grout Residue Removal on Travertine Mosaics in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks