Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Grout discolouration in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all, I'm new here, a hobbyist DIY'er, and try to learn the correct and smart ways to tackle home DIY.
Need some help please. I had tiled my bathroom a year ago, it was my first time doing so.
Over that year, where the water hits the tiles, the group has started to grey and discolour, like it's staining.
Some areas where water hits it's ok, but others are bad. I've scraped out the grout once in the bad areas and it's still disclours.
Both times I used the same grout brand/type.
I've attached some images to give an idea on what I mean.
The grout I used was Palace Tile-Grout, in white.

Any ideas what's going on? Theres nothing in the bathgroom used that stains, I've been through the lot.
I'm stumped and peeved on how ugly it gets. I've not used a grout whitener or anything as I don't want to mask the problem.
I've read about sealing, but as the grout iteslf is water based, suitable for bathhrooms, and in wet areas with no indication that sealing is required, I haven't done so.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• _SPP2326.jpg
    _SPP2326.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 22
  • _SPP2327.jpg
    _SPP2327.jpg
    692.6 KB · Views: 18
  • _SPP2328.jpg
    _SPP2328.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 19
OP
J
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for chiming in. Yes, absolutely we do. Even if it was occasionally missed, it never occured on the old tild/grout.
Could grout be a cause, reacting with something?

Thanks

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
I dont know what's causing it, but you can get "Mapei Fuga Fresca" in various colours which is a grout reviver, but also you could chose a different colour to what you have at present and change that grout colour to a grey? This wouldn't stain up as easily as the white grout you had.

OP
J
Reaction score
:)
I dont know what's causing it, but you can get "Mapei Fuga Fresca" in various colours which is a grout reviver, but also you could chose a different colour to what you have at present and change that grout colour to a grey? This wouldn't stain up as easily as the white grout you had.
Thats a fair point about the grout colour and did think that too, but me being me, I'd know theres still an underlying problem. Thanks for the idea.

OP
J
Reaction score

Morning, using strong bleach can destroy the antibacterial properties of the grout allowing mould growth.
Oh, Is that too strong bleach ratio? Incidentally, looking at the Palace grout packaging, it doesn't state any anti-mould/fungal properties.
Could the brown discolouration be cause by some kind of mould/fungus?
The tile was done by a professional but due to some circumstamces, I had to tackle the grouting and that was the grout he gave me.

Reply to Grout discolouration in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock