Discuss Grout Choice in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Dr_Colossus

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
Found this forum very late in my process but better late than never.

Long story condensed: Previous owners had a professional tiler remodel bathroom and ensuite with 800x450 porcelain but quadrant shower and tray in ensuite was failing slowing. Only noticed when I was replacing carpet in adjacent bedroom with the spongy subfloor under the dividing partition. End result I had to strip everything back to joists and studs as tiles were dot/dabbed onto plasterboard which was quite soggy around shower area so when I cut grout I could pull a number of tiles off with my fingers.

Redesigned the ensuite to make better use of the limited space so got rid of the small quadrant in favour of a wet-room style walk in shower with bench. Anyway I've finally finished tiling and somewhat foolhardily went with hexagons (liked the look) in a complicated enough 5 sided room with semi partition as pictured. The planning was a bit of a nightmare but one tip for future readers that helped was to mark out the tiles including spacers on a 2m roll of paper for both the vertical and horizontal orientation. It was a very slow process but the tiling is finally finished.

Anyway on to grouting and looking for recommendations for both colour choice and a recommended manufacturer. Given previous water damage I like the notion of epoxy but somewhat apprehensive as to it's application given my inexperience plus it's proving very difficult to source locally. I eventually found a store that stocked Ardex and having previously read up on the epoxy hybrid Ardex EG8 I'm thinking of this in either Silver Grey or Grey for the floor and depending on how I progress with that then consider it for the walls. Local store however didn't stock it by default and would have to order and they're yet to call me back with availability and more importantly price.

For the walls I'm thinking of framing the hexagon with a dark colour and possibly the Ardex-Flex FS in Innocent Black if the EG8 is proving too difficult (spacing is 3mm). However I've read some bad reports here about the FS Innocent Black and colour inconsistency with it fading to near white in parts. Also the stories regarding clean up and possible tile staining with black grout are somewhat worrying.
Although the tiles are glazed porcelain and thus far have been easy clean there is a satin texture to them so I'm going to apply a layer of Lithofin FZ impregnator in the hopes of making clean up that bit easier.
White grout could provide a nice contrast to the grey and darker tones in the tile and match the toilet/handbasin but I suspect would have to be epoxy based to maintain it's colour.

I've read some good reports here on Tilemaster Grout 3000 but haven't found a local supplier so would have to resort to sourcing it online and paying delivery. Would those of you more experienced favour the TileMaster Grout3000 over the Ardex Flex FS or any other recommendations for a dark/black grout or how do you think a white grout would look long term?

Apologies for the long post and thanks for reading.

Ensuite Floor.jpg
Ensuite Door.jpg

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Very nice job there, are you diy?

Stockists of Tilemaster adhesives in Dublin.

TOTAL TILES LTD
T/A ITALIAN TILE AND STONE, UNIT 6, EATON HALL, TERENURE ROAD NORTH, DUBLIN 6W

t: 00353 1 6261 728
Distance: 2.74 miles away.

T

Time's Ran Out

You’ve done extremely well to follow the design around the full room!
Although very 1970’s in look ( and experiencing a revival) but not my particular style, I can see the amount of work and results you have achieved.
It’s all personal choice on grout colour however I’d have gone down the beige background colour to soften the look but remaining a texture finish.

Dr_Colossus

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
Very nice job there, are you diy?

Stockists of Tilemaster adhesives in Dublin.

TOTAL TILES LTD
T/A ITALIAN TILE AND STONE, UNIT 6, EATON HALL, TERENURE ROAD NORTH, DUBLIN 6W

t: 00353 1 6261 728
Distance: 2.74 miles away.

Thanks, yes this is my first tiling project. Very difficult to get reliable trades locally who actually care about the finished article so decided to undertake the work in my spare time and learn something in the process rather than having to ensure a professional was just that and not some chancer inflicting thousands worth of expense and damage.

Thanks for suggestion, that's another place I haven't been to yet so will check them out.

You’ve done extremely well to follow the design around the full room!
Although very 1970’s in look ( and experiencing a revival) but not my particular style, I can see the amount of work and results you have achieved.
It’s all personal choice on grout colour however I’d have gone down the beige background colour to soften the look but remaining a texture finish.

Thanks, the planning was one of the more difficult aspects to try and maintain at least a half tile both vertically and horizontally given all the cut outs for partition, window, door, bench etc.
Hadn't considered beige for the grout and while should be easier maintain than white I don't think it'll work as ceiling, toilet, handbasin, architrave and storage is all in white so adding a beige grout might be too much of a contrast.
Nothing ordered or selected yet in terms of grout so appreciate the suggestions to mull over.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Good Job!

I'd avoid black grout if i were you, it's horrible stuff.

I can't comment on the Ardex grout mentioned but TM 3000 is my regular grout, i use the natural grey a lot, think i've now done it on 6 jobs in a row!

Dr_Colossus

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
Good Job!

I'd avoid black grout if i were you, it's horrible stuff.

I can't comment on the Ardex grout mentioned but TM 3000 is my regular grout, i use the natural grey a lot, think i've now done it on 6 jobs in a row!

What you do pay roughly for a 5kg bag of TM 3000, £10? Same 5kg bag here in Ireland is €28 which is the equivalent of £24.18, some difference.

The plan was to go with the Ardex EG8 (only epoxy based grout I can find/order locally after trying about 10 different outlets) on the floor in silver grey and if that worked well consider it in either white or anthracite for the walls. That was until I finally got prices for same.
Having researched the product previously UK suppliers looked to be in the region of £35-£40 per 4kg tub so with Rip Of Republic pricing I was anticipating about €55 but I was flabbergasted at the €150 to €190 range I was given from 3 tile supply stores for the same 4kg tub. The only somewhat reasonable price I could get was from a builder providers who could source it from Ardex and with their markup charge me €75 but as it would be a once off order Ardex would charge them an additional €25 for shipping it across the city so €100 to try a single tub. Crazy stuff and for reference a 10kg bag of Ardex Flex FS would cost €70+ if I was to go with that for the walls instead.

Given the exorbitant mark up here I've no option now but to source in the UK and get it shipped across but nothing new since I had to do that for most other fittings including shower door, towel rad and trv valves, led mirror door etc.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
£9.85 is what i pay for a 5kg bag of TM3000

hmm that sucks the pir es you are getting, i would never dream of ever paying that. Seems sourcing it online is the way forward

Reply to Grout Choice in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks